FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 16th, 2019, 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CDC soft hackles
PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 8:09 am 
FFIMer

I've been using and having good luck with soft hackles the past few years. Just watched a video that showed a guy using CDC for the hackle. I'm going to tie some up. Wondering if any of you have tried using the CDC verses regular feathers. I think fishing the film CDC would be the better feather. Just a thought on a cold morning.

Post subject: Re: CDC soft hackles
PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 8:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Sounds good to me. Haven't tried it but I might today - thanks for the :idea:
I know a CDC wing on a Compara-dun is a good way to go.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 10:58 am 
FFIMer

Igloo ..you can tell by my name I am fond of CDC ..I have posted on here before a fly I call "the uncle Mike " ( not you Mike Holt :lol: ) but my brother ..we were fishing upper dam pool back in the early 90's and a guide was doing quite well off of one of the stations ,and he gave my brother mike one of his flies ..when I asked my nephew what he was using ,he said " I don't know that guy gave it to him to use " so its been known as the uncle Mike ever since ,and its basically a elk hair caddis with CDC as the wing and no palmered hackle ..just a dubbed body and CDC wing and small thread head ,and it makes a great caddis imitation swung wet ..in fact it fishes better wet after a couple fish than when dry. ..we discovered later on that you could buy them at the Rangeley region sports shop ( and still can ) they were called upper dam caddis ,kennebago caddis ..stuff like that now they are called CDC caddis in tan .gray olive ... other than the emergent sparkle pupa ,its the best caddis imitation that I know of and use ,killer fly.

I can't count how many times while fishing together we have asked after a good fish " what did you get him on ... and the answer an uncle Mike "

PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 9:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

That sounds like an F-FLY which is a great caddis fly for sure.

I have used a lot of CDC over recent years, because France is loaded with ducks, and they sell AWESOME cdc.

Look up the Petijean movies on youtube, his method is very good, and probably the only way i could foresee tying in CDC as a soft hackle, I don't see how just traditional wrapping would work, given the general irregularity of the actual fiber length.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 6:35 am 
FFIMer

TGIF here's the video on You Tube

https://youtu.be/Ck2kbtHuJpQ

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 7:46 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks! Agree on everything, that is a sexy fly. I don’t twist my PT, but like the look. I do believe that the cdc fibers would “breath” even better than partridge.

My point was more that finding the right size and shape CDC feather, out of a 1gr bag, could be absolutley maddening. He clearly found the one for his video. The petijean method of using the fibers off the quill could solve that, much like how Mike Holt showed us how to tie small soft hackles with the partridge feathers that were too big.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 12:23 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Igloo, thanks for that video. I was stumped like TGIF as to how to get it to work. I tried a dubbing loop but it was just too bulky. After watching the video I selected what looked like the right size Type 1,CDC feather and wrapped it as the guy showed.

I have to say I like the body idea of using three different colored Pheasant Tail fibers. The whole fly is pretty neat. (size 16)

TGIF - finding the right feather out of a big baggie of CDC was a pain. But the good part is once you start you can pick out a bunch of type 1's and bag them by themselves. (at least, that's what I did after I pulled half the bag out and dumped them in a pile - I'll find CDC for the next week hiding everywhere :lol: )

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 1:38 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike Holt wrote:
TGIF - finding the right feather out of a big baggie of CDC was a pain. But the good part is once you start you can pick out a bunch of type 1's and bag them by themselves. (at least, that's what I did after I pulled half the bag out and dumped them in a pile - I'll find CDC for the next week hiding everywhere :lol: )

One sneeze and...

ps- that's a good looking fly. I wonder how it would look with a glass bead behind the cdc? Hmmm....

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 2:26 pm 

Another very effective way to use CDC--which gives a similar effect--is to tie in a CDC feather by the tip,binding down some but not all of the fibers. Then twist it, like a dubbing rope, and wind on as a body. If you do this right, you get a nice segmented abdomen, then as you transition to the thorax you get to the CDC fibers that are not bound down and some of them wrap around the hook as a "soft hackle". This is a great way to use the crappy CDC feathers that will not make nice wings or hackles.

Add a CDC wing and a fat dubbed head, and you have an awesome pattern for small caddis. This in olive body, dun wing, with a WB or Nancy's Prayer behind it on a dropper, is my goto to West Branch salmon on caddis hatches and egg laying flights. 14-16-18. Lime green and cinnamon brown also work. A #20 in cream used to work well for a cream midge hatch at a certain spring-creek like stream in the midCoast.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 4:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Had to tie some to try come fishing time so I tied up some 14's.
[img]maineflyfishing.com/images/2019/forums/cdcsofthackle3.jpg[/img]
You can see the cool body better on these.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 4:12 pm 
FFIM-aholic

It wouldn't take it in the post above so I tried again.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 8:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

"Another very effective way to use CDC--which gives a similar effect--is to tie in a CDC feather by the tip,binding down some but not all of the fibers. Then twist it, like a dubbing rope, and wind on as a body. If you do this right, you get a nice segmented abdomen, then as you transition to the thorax you get to the CDC fibers that are not bound down and some of them wrap around the hook as a "soft hackle". This is a great way to use the crappy CDC feathers that will not make nice wings or hackles.
Add a CDC wing and a fat dubbed head, and you have an awesome pattern for small caddis. This in olive body, dun wing, with a WB or Nancy's Prayer behind it on a dropper, is my goto to West Branch salmon on caddis hatches and egg laying flights. 14-16-18. Lime green and cinnamon brown also work."

I can attest to how well these flies work that Jeff ties. I won some he donated at the '06 or '07 conclave at the Big Eddy. I hate to use them for fear of losing them as I know I can't ever tie them as well.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 11:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

The cdc bodybis what I did for the caddis swap. I am LOADED with French cdc. Bought a lifetime supply on the way out. My particular fav are the XL feathers that resemble marabou dimensions.

Kudos to mike for finding the couple feathers that worked, I would still go the dubbing loop personally, managing for the bulk.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2019, 7:20 am 
FFIMer

Looks real good Mike. Pretty simple tie, after you size the feathers. I'm going to super glue the shank before wrapping the body and maybe get an extra fish or two per fly. Also mix the colors up for different hatches. Like Jeff said a great way to use those crappy feathers.