FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 24th, 2019, 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 25th, 2019, 4:01 pm 

Hutch wrote:
. I am MUCH more concerned with the use of rubber baits on the lakes- these are forever, and fish are filled with them.

Hutch

My understanding from a couple of discussions with the bill sponsor and from past bills he has introduced is that the soft plastic baits are his primary concern.

I do not think bio-degradable is the right way to address them. The problem with the soft plastics is that they break too easily and are not permanently attached to the hook. These are not problems with our nylon thread, "rubber" legs, or other synthetics for fly tying, nor are they problems for things like hard plastic swimming minnows.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2019, 11:05 am 
FFIM-aholic

You could apply the Ayn Rand rule to any legislative process you don’t agree with. And it wouldn’t make sense on any issue.
Where would we be without regulation? It exists to close the gap the between what we want to do and what we should be doing. Yes, should is a subjective term. So, I’ll simply ask you to do a little research on microplastics and get back to us. The crap is in everything. Drink bottled water? 93% chance you’re consuming it. Seafood? Probably 100%. It’s Maine - Take a whale watching trip. You’re watching literally tons of living micro plastic and heavy metal collection machines.
You’re not seeing flies on the bottom of the dam pool? Take your snorkel and fins down to big lake where the stream dumps in and get back to us. And micro is used to describe the problem...out of sight, out of mind. But certainly not out of existence, and it all ends up in the seas.
You may not be a criminal, but you’re (we’re) part of the problem. What’s catching a trout on a sparkle dun worth to you??
Yes, I tie and fish them. Could I do just as well fishing a comparadun?
Pretty darn close.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2019, 11:53 am 
FFIM Addict

Nah. I am just not as willing to be Eeyore about fishing.