FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 18th, 2019, 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 10:41 am 
FFIMer

"Beginning January 1, 2024, this bill prohibits fishing in inland waters using nonbiodegradable hooks or certain nonbiodegradable artificial lures. A person who violates this prohibition commits a Class E crime."

http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/bill ... 1&snum=129

This bill will go to the Legislature's Fish and Wildlife Committee on February 27th. It would be great for all the trash on the bottom of our lakes, but looks like we cant use wire, flash, UV resin or foam and have to replace all of our hooks.

What do you folks think?

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 12:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I think it will not pass...

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 12:06 pm 
FFIMer

I agree, no way this would pass as it is written. It's such a big change that it would do more harm than good.

The lead ban was much easier because we have other options for weights and it was one part of the tackle, not most peoples entire setup.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 8:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I like the intent. Hopefully the industry will respond and provide us with viable alternatives and this will be a win-win.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 8:40 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Agree on intent for sure. But impossible to manage and I am unsure if enough manufacturers carry biodegradable stuff, and if not, if MAINE is a big enough market to make them want to.

That said, does anyone here use stainless steel hooks for anything other than salt water?

I stick largely to natural tying materials... so beads, Mylar, d rib, thin skin, and a few other things would fall off... but I would see the “glue molded things to a hook” tiers having some real concerns.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm 
FFIMer

TGIF wrote:
That said, does anyone here use stainless steel hooks for anything other than salt water?.

Not often, but I occasionally fish my smaller salt water Clousers for smallmouth and throw some of my larger salt water hollows for pike.

Peter

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 10:10 pm 
FFIMer

Mustad use to make a stainless steel hook, I forget the model number but it was a long shank streamer hook. They discontinued it and replaced it with a tin (??? I think???) hook which is not as good. I liked that older version and bought as many packs as I could find when I saw they diconunied it. I use stainless steel for all my streamers, fresh or salt, because I like to bend the shank up and then to the side and tie it upside down. Umpaqua now make a cheaper stainless steel hook I’m experimenting with in the same way. Not a fan of this bill.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 1:03 am 

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for stainless hooks for freshwater applications - I believe that steel hooks meet the standard for biodegradeable or could be made to meet it - inert materials like brass & tungsten beads should prolly get some sort of exemption - most other fly tying materials could prolly be made to meet the standard pretty easily - lures would be a bigger challenge but I think the notion has merit - NOW is a particularly good time to remember that legislation is a major driver of innovation...and now I'm picturing a warden trying to figure out if I used cotton or nylon thread to tie my bugger...

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 8:19 am 
FFIMer

I don't think it will pass as written. However, something should be done about the plastics and perhaps the ss lures and hooks. It's an attention getter and I'm sure some form of this bill will eventually pass within the next few years.

Much like the lead debate, we can't bemoan what was or the way we have always done it. Find a new way and move on.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 8:39 am 
FFIM Addict

How long do hooks last currently?- I remember well the first time I swam the Dam Pool with fins and mask- and I knew I was going to get a bonanza of flies. None. I searched places I knew had many of my flies---none. Not just hooks--- no chenille, no hair, not even eyes. I am MUCH more concerned with the use of rubber baits on the lakes- these are forever, and fish are filled with them.

Hutch

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 9:31 am 
FFIM Addict

When I was working in Michigan and fishing the Pere Marquette, I catch huge balls of gear. They'd be the size of a basketball at times, fight like hell. Usually a lot of line and flies and shot. Many of the hooks were in a state of decomposition (rusting) but the line, lead and slinkies were still viable. Even flies I've "fished" out of trees the hooks are rusting if up for too long. I've seen 3 songbirds in trees caught on lost flies in the last few years.
I think good intent is there but refinement is needed.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 2:54 pm 
FFIMer

I’ve been trying to move back to tying with as much natural material as possible. It really is something to think about. There are an estimated 3.8 million fly fishermen in the US alone. If each one loses just a gram of plastic a year, that equals 4.18 tons.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 8:06 pm 
FFIMer

It's worth thinking about.

I'm guessing none of us would toss a filtered cigarette butt or the ziplock bag we keep our lunch in into the water, yet we think nothing of leaving flies laden with synthetics and yards of fluoro (which will basically never break down) on stream bottoms.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2019, 3:17 pm 
FFIMer

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” -Ayn Rand

I'm far from an Ayn Rand disciple, but on this matter the old bag was spot on.

Would you lose you license for violating this law? I don't know. Would you let getting caught with a Sparkle dun stop you from fishing?

I am keenly aware of the hypocrisy of ranting about soft plastic worms and grubs in the belly of fish, while tying flies with Zelon and synthetic dubbings. I get it.

I'm not sure what the answer to this is. But making new criminals probably isn't it.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2019, 3:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

Kilgore makes a good point in so far as it goes...tying with antron/synthetics etc is an issue in one way and not in another. Yes, stuff like floro lasts forever, and balls up in areas of garbage...but does the crystal flash on my Duns? Does a trout come eat the antron left in the river months later? I suspect no....but they DO eat the 3 year old worm on the bottom of a river if it becomes visable again...I can live without stainless hooks- and would obey this law on fresh water w/o much problem....but to include materials that do not seem to be found in bellys of fish would not get my support w/o more data.

I looked at my hook boxes yesterday, and I have 2 sizes of stainless hooks...I know I could find steel hooks to replace them easily.

Hutch