FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently March 20th, 2019, 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bass in the Rapid
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 9:16 am 
FFIM-aholic

This article says if you catch a male bass off the nest and keep him away from it for 10-minutes as many as 50% of the young-of-the-year Bass will be eaten by predators. Kill the male and the young-of-the-year will ALL be eaten.

So, perhaps we should resurrect the Spring Fling (them onto the bank) catch and kill on the Rapid River.

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/fishing-for-nesting-bass/

Post subject: Re: Bass in the Rapid
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 8:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Did we ever stop the spring fling? I have been a champion flinger for over a decade.

This is a very interesting article.

That said, I embrace gender neutrality on the flinging. I can’t tell them apart so I just spoke them all.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 9:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

One of my favorite CFR memories. My sport could hardly cast 20 feet. We were just above first/second current. We hadn't caught a thing all day. I look down in the rocks next to the bank and there are a number of juvies there. We put on a Beaulieu leech and start catching them; that was pretty cool by itself. I explain the situation and why they need to go. I toss the first one on the bank, then another. I look across the river and there's a mink watching. It swims across, grabs the bass, swims back with it. We repeated this probably a half dozen times; catch - toss - mink. She was blown away and I can still hear her laugh and see her smile. So cool. WHACK'EM - I'm in for a catch and toss - name the date and I'm there!

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 10:45 pm 
FFIM-aholic

A different CFR year, my sport had a bum knee, so we paddled on PIR all morning, casting bugger like dragon fly nymphs, and boated and tossed about 2 doz SMB that either went into the woods, or back in the pond after a good thump on the gunnel. She couldn’t stand to watch, but did acquire a sinister laugh toward the end. I know we think that the bass in the river are the issue, but I can assure you, the pond is where the SMB thrive. The amount of bass we saw that morning was scary.

That was the same sport that hooked a solid 17” Brookie in front of Salmo and his sport.... gave a hell of a fight, we realized it was fouled once in the net. Salmo made her feel better by assuring her that it takes real talent to lasso one.

She learned two valuable lessons that day... SMB are bad news on the Rapid, and we don’t take pics of foul hooked fish.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau