FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 18th, 2019, 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Currently reading...
PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 12:23 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hi,

Just back from a couple months of eldercare in Michigan. Didn't hit any of the open water since we needed to stick close to the folks, but did read a bit.

I'm about to finish Fly Fishing the River Styx by Richard Dokey. It is subtitled "stories with an angle", so, if you know mythology, you'll probably guess that each of the stories deals with both fly fishing and with facing that final river, one way or another. Dokey is a master of the opening sentence, each story hooked me immediately. His main character is usually an experienced fly angler, grown wiser with age, and who might fish anywhere from the Sutton to Silver Creek to the Two-Hearted. I don't usually read fiction, and I'm not facing the final river personally, but it still kept me going.

Before that, I read my friend Jeff Hatton's book of (true) stories called Three Deep at the Mahogany Riffle: Fly Fishing and Fun on the Lower Gunnison 1986-2005. Jeff is an exceptional bamboo rodmaker from Colorado, but these are humorous remembrances from his days as a guide. Full disclosure, I wrote the foreword.

While both are books of about a dozen quick reads, Jeff's are more like the Dud Dean stories, or Patrick MacNamee, in tone, and Dokey's are more like Norman MacLean's.

So now I'm starting Matt Supinski's book The Brown Trout - Atlantic Salmon Nexus . It's a totally different kind of read, over 250 pages of history, tactics, fly patterns, and places, including Maine. We met Matt in Michigan, and were struck with the depth of his enthusiasm. You may see him in Maine next summer; it's on his bucket list.

So, when you are not out in the current, what are you currently reading? I need some thoughts for the next books.

Kat

Attachments:
Books in winter.jpg
Books in winter.jpg [ 49.04 KiB | Viewed 1698 times ]

Post subject: Re: Currently reading...
PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 8:24 pm 
FFIM Addict

"The River King" By Bob Romano. When I finish this I need to go back and re-read a couple of his other books "East of Easie" and another. Those were as good as a tablet of melatonin at the time. Not sure if it was my mind-set or what. This one I can't put down when reading it.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 11:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

Not fishing related- Son of the Morning Star- about Little Bighorn. Apparently though, Custer liked to fly fish.

Hey Ron- I need to pick your brain about the Farmington.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 12:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

"Swimming Against the Tide- Restoring Salmon to the Tyne" by the late Peter Gray.

Peter was instrumental for helping get the Downeast Salmon Federation's East Machias salmon rearing station up and a running the way they are today. I picked up copy of the book at a Miramichi Salmon Association dinner auction, but it can also be bought through the DSF as part of a fundraiser they're running:

https://wildatlanticsalmon.org/product/swimming-tide-peter-gray/

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 4:06 pm 
FFIMer

I'm reading the "fly fishing" murder series of books by Keith McCafferty. First book is Royal Wulf Murders followed by 6 more. All are good and based around the Madison River in MT. The book string is not as good as the two murder series by Will Tapply, but still worth the read. The good thing is that McCafferty is still extant and can write more. Tapply died about 10 years ago.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 7:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

Titleguy,
Yesterday I started to re-read the book. In the six months I was home some chapters have changed. The high water they received over the last couple months have changed things. I'll be taking it page by page. Always open to share.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: February 19th, 2019, 10:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
Not fishing related- Son of the Morning Star- about Little Bighorn. Apparently though, Custer liked to fly fish.

You might find this interesting as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Empire-Summer- ... an+history

PostPosted: February 20th, 2019, 9:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

dryflie wrote:
titleguy wrote:

You might find this interesting as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Empire-Summer- ... an+history

Thanks Al. I've been a Chosin Reservoir kick as well- what an amazing story.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2019, 9:22 am 
FFIM-aholic

1weight wrote:
Titleguy,
Yesterday I started to re-read the book. In the six months I was home some chapters have changed. The high water they received over the last couple months have changed things. I'll be taking it page by page. Always open to share.

Ron

Thanks Ron- looking at a trip down in 3 weeks or so for a weekend.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks for the ideas.

Have read the Bob Romano books, waiting for the next.

Kat

PostPosted: February 21st, 2019, 6:46 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Thanks for the review. Now I know what to buy for my next work trip.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2019, 2:59 pm 
FFIMer

I'm currently reading the new biography of Frederick Douglass, about halfway through but may take a break as I just got Kathy Scott's DVD on making furled leaders. :shock:

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 9:40 am 
FFIMer

I just finished The Feather Thief by Kirk Wallace Johnson. A bizarre true story of stealing exotic feathers for tying salmon flies. It covers natural history, the decimation of exotic birds and the lengths some tiers will go to to get feathers. Worth reading.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 5:36 pm 
FFIMer

To Titleguy - Your reference to the Chosin Reservoir is not without significance to the West Branch of the Penobscot. On the bank of the Big Eddy is a boulder with a memorial plaque to Nick Albans. Nick was not only a Marine Vet and survivor of the campaign but one of the prime movers in the successful fight against the Big A dam that Great Northern Paper Co. wanted to build on the West Branch. I'm proud to have known him.
And, if you haven't read The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat (Drury/Clavin) yet I highly recommend.

To Al - thanks for posting the title Empire of the Summer Moon. Read the book after my bypass, misplaced it, and have not been able to remember the title since. Anesthesia doesn't help an already poor memory.
Vinyardblues

PostPosted: February 24th, 2019, 7:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

Vinyardblues wrote:
To Titleguy - Your reference to the Chosin Reservoir is not without significance to the West Branch of the Penobscot. On the bank of the Big Eddy is a boulder with a memorial plaque to Nick Albans. Nick was not only a Marine Vet and survivor of the campaign but one of the prime movers in the successful fight against the Big A dam that Great Northern Paper Co. wanted to build on the West Branch. I'm proud to have known him.
And, if you haven't read The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat (Drury/Clavin) yet I highly recommend.

To Al - thanks for posting the title Empire of the Summer Moon. Read the book after my bypass, misplaced it, and have not been able to remember the title since. Anesthesia doesn't help an already poor memory.
Vinyardblues

Nicks plaque is up at the head of the eddy, if I recall correctly. Ive been thinking about a memorial for Ray Stout, got to get on that this spring.