FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 16th, 2019, 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 7:39 am 
FFIM Addict

Interesting thing on the news this morning about women hunting/fishing...and it showed 2 graphs, which showed MASSIVE increases in use by women of the woods and waters of Maine....until this last year, which had a slight downturn. The numbers on the graph showed an almost constant upward movement of the last few decades(?).

Hutch

PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 1:55 pm 
FFIMer

K. I. Joe wrote:
Something nobody mentioned is the lack of game, and rules and regulations. If you deer hunt and don't see anything then the kids are bored. If they see deer, even if they are not legal to shoot, the get excited. The rules are enough to drive an adult insane. State duck stamp, federal duck stamp, 3 mallards, no barrows goldeneye but regular goldeneye ok, deer tag, grouse ok, spruce grouse no, no fish between blank and blank, kill all bass, 18" size limit on bass. So many laws it is intimidating for the newbie. As for Sunday hunting it would help bring people in and help the rural economy and if Rhode Island can do it without any people getting shot, then so can Maine. ( Rhode Island woodland is open unless posted except for deer.

I think I'll keep regulations, implemented at the suggestion of wildlife biologists and watch youth participation drop, if that is the cause of the decline.

It seems to me if a kid has to be instantly gratified, all the time, to go into the woods, then they have unrealistic expectations, and for their own good, best disabused of at a young age.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Lol. Not a word dropped in every day FFIM conversation... :mrgreen:

dis·a·buse

/ˌdisəˈbyo͞oz/
verb
past tense: disabused; past participle: disabused

persuade (someone) that an idea or belief is mistaken.
"he quickly disabused me of my fanciful notions"
synonyms: disillusion, undeceive, correct, set right/straight, open the eyes of, enlighten, reveal the truth to, wake up, disenchant, shatter the illusions of, make sadder and wiser
"he had thought he was good enough to become a professional, and Dinah had disabused him"