FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 17th, 2019, 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 1:26 pm 
FFIMer

Like the title says, this week I tied my first flies in about eight years. Between starting and running a business, kids, and "life" all of my tying materials and vises (not vices) were packed away in Rubbermaid bins. Heck, I only fished a handful of times each of the last eight years as well. So this week I got everything out of the attic, set-up space in my heated barn, and commenced to tying some black ghosts. The first few were not things that I would have put in my box ten years ago, but I had to start somewhere.

It's amazing how many little tricks of the craft that I have forgotten. It's equally amazing how quickly some of the tricks came back to me after a few flies. So I'm asking those of you who have been tying for the last decade+, what's new in tying methods, materials, and tools?

And it's apparent that my eyes at 40 are not as sharp as they were at 30.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 3:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’m guessing, perhaps, two things you might notice.

The abundance of new synthetics..........and, if you have some one or two decade old necks and saddles, how Tom Whiting has revolutionized chicken feathers. I look at a Whiting saddle I’ve had since the early 90’s, and I look at a two year old Whiting saddle, and there’s just no comparison.

Oh......perhaps one other thing. Tying thread has gotten exponentially better. 16/0 is now as strong as 6/0 used to be. Unbelievable......

Dave M

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
I’m guessing, perhaps, two things you might notice.

The abundance of new synthetics..........and, if you have some one or two decade old necks and saddles, how Tom Whiting has revolutionized chicken feathers. I look at a Whiting saddle I’ve had since the early 90’s, and I look at a two year old Whiting saddle, and there’s just no comparison.

Oh......perhaps one other thing. Tying thread has gotten exponentially better. 16/0 is now as strong as 6/0 used to be. Unbelievable......

Dave M

That's good to know about the thread. It used to frustrate the heck out of me when I'd snap thread just as I was finishing off a big streamer (I used to tie a lot of feather wings).

As for the necks and saddles I have some that must be 40+ because they were given to me by an old timer when I was a kid learning to tie flies.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 9:34 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
and, if you have some one or two decade old necks and saddles, how Tom Whiting has revolutionized chicken feathers. I look at a Whiting saddle I’ve had since the early 90’s, and I look at a two year old Whiting saddle, and there’s just no comparison.

You're not kidding. I started tying in 1996 when I was 19 years old. I scrimped to buy a Metz neck, I can't remember what I paid for it but it was obscene. I still have it, and to compare it to modern Whiting hackle is unreal. Half of that old neck is webby spade hackle and the smaller size feathers are so short and stubby as to be almost useless.

The other incredible resource now is, of course, Youtube and the countless SBS videos online. I tied so many ridiculous flies trying to copy a pattern out of a hardcover fly tying book.