FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 17th, 2019, 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fishing tackle market
PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 8:42 am 
FFIMer

I am sitting here looking a a 21 page sales newspaper for Bass Pro Shop/Cabela's and there is no fly fishing equipment to be found. Yes, there are waders but they are a cross over item. What does this say about the fly fishing market share? Perhaps their fly fishing items are not on sale? Is there going to be another newspaper later in the winter promoting fly fishing products? Something tells me, no.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 9:11 am 
FFIMer

From Bass Pro/Cabelas? Probably not. The ads I get from Bass Pro are heavy on gear fishing, ice fishing, and hunting. And to me, that's ok. I'm not really into any of those three, but I always leaf through the ad before it becomes tinder for the woodstove. The giant big box stores are not where I look for fly tying supplies and my other gear purchases.

Bass Pro/Cabelas is oriented to a different market. They do sell some fly fishing equipment, but it's a house brand and I don't have any idea of the quality of it. (although I am skeptical) In the larger fishing market, fly fishing is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to sales of crankbaits, casting reels, downriggers, and filet knives.

We have a Bass Pro locally to us. I bought a pistol there, and some camping gear a few years ago. But the fly fishing corner looks anemic and I don't think anyone buys much from there. But they do have about 5 aisles of spinners, rapalas, plastic worms/grubs, etc. It just comes down to market share.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 9:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

All you have to do is look at what happened to the Cabelas in Scarborough....

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 11:09 am 
FFIMer

I hardly looked at that flyer before chucking it into the recycling bin.... Since the buy out the content of the flyers has definitely shifted to almost entirely conventional gear. Occasionally I see some fly stuff, almost always Cabelas Branded stuff, priced so low I wouldn't trust it to catch yellow perch....

Peter

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 12:27 pm 
FFIMer

I'm pretty sure I've aged out of the target market age range for most of those big box stores. I'm not starting from scratch and tend to be loyal to stuff that works for me, and take care of it. Consequently, I don't churn a lot of gear. I'm still wearing an 18 year old pair of Irish Setter hunting boots that'll probably outlast me.

So I don't know but suspect that if I had a young family and wanted to get them outfitted, Cabelas and LLB might be a reasonable place to start. For an old fart like me, pah! No interest.

Kind of miss the old family-owned sporting goods stores that used to be the go-to spots prior to the Mall evolution.