FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 25th, 2019, 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Umpqua Hooks
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2019, 6:48 pm 
FFIMer

I was at Cabelas today browsing threw their tying stuff and noticed Umpqua U-Series hooks on sale, $2.88 to $4.88 for 50 packs. I snatched up a handful, never used U-series hooks, but couldn't pass us that deal. Mostly natural bend and curved shank nymph hooks, and standard wire dry hooks. If you're looking for hooks it's worth checking out if you are in the area.

Peter

I have no affiliation here, just passing on what seemed like a killer deal.

Post subject: Re: Umpqua Hooks
PostPosted: February 6th, 2019, 7:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

Peter

I got some of these Umpqua hooks from Terry at The Flyfishermans Place. I have tied on them, but haven’t had a chance to actually use them yet. A cheaper version of Tiemcos, I’m sure to compete with Firehole and some of the other less expensive hooks
Dave M

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 6:40 am 
FFIMer

While at the NJ fly show I talked to a dealer with a large selection of Firehole hooks. As we were talking he opened a box to show me the hooks and in clear view the first hook that caught my eye was a defective hook (bent shaft). He closed the box and I walked away, both of us smiling. I'm not saying they are bad hooks, just poor timing.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 7:35 am 
FFIM Addict

AN add on-- The Allen hooks I posted about some weeks ago have shown more to me. The #16 dry hooks have had 3 total failures in formation, but all have good sharp tips and none have broken in the vise. I wish I could say the same for the #22 dry hooks. I have broken-in the vise- 7 hooks, taking the tips clean off. This is with just the pulling of 8/0 thread to tighten down wings. I have real expectations these will break on the first fish. I will tie (and am tying) the rest of my small hook flies on my last Dai Riki hooks and give the currently finished #22 flies to Gussa. He'll never know.

Hutch

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 12:20 pm 
FFIMer

Which is why you should always pinch the barb BEFORE wrapping the hook. Maybe only every 27th hook will break when you push down the barb, but better to find out before spending time on the hook. It saves a lot of cursing!

PostPosted: February 9th, 2019, 7:49 am 
FFIMer

For me any of the hooks work well up to size 18.
For the cost and ability to purchase in bulk from someone like the fly shop for bugger or nymph hooks, a few bad eyes or bad bends out of a thousand hooks for $60 is no problem.
All the flies I tie smaller than 18 are on TMC hooks exactly because of the problem Chris had with breaking. I just have not had as much problem with the TMC even at size 24 allowing for the difference in strength for a hook that small.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2019, 7:39 pm 
FFIMer

Yes I will NOW!
Gussa