FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 18th, 2019, 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 31st, 2019, 12:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.......

As the dry fly box is still chock a block full.......even with my having taken out at least three dozen flies.......maybe four dozen.......that I hadn’t used in years, I was perusing videos of other patterns yesterday.

Lately many videos and blogs are about this weird fly called a mop fly.......tied with those little fingers that come off a mop. I’ve never been tempted to tie one, but yesterday’s video talked about what a great Bluegill fly they are.

I’m a trout/Salmon guy........mostly.....but also love Smalllmouth on top water bugs.........and I freaking love fishing for Bluegills with a light three or four wt. rod. Pound for pound not many fish can tug like a big ‘Gill. I went down to the vise and tied up three chartreuse #10 TMC 3761 Mop Flies.......with a black bead and black light bright dubbing in a loop. They actually look pretty good, but I Seriously doubt I’d use them for trout/ll’s. Bluegills or Smallmouth though........absolutely.

Dave M

PS: You know the flyboxes are full when you start tying up Bluegill flies. ;-)

PostPosted: January 31st, 2019, 1:19 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Mops are very popular trout bugs as well. I have yet to use them, however....

PostPosted: January 31st, 2019, 3:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave
When you report you're tying Squirmy Wormies we'll get you to a meeting.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 31st, 2019, 4:50 pm 
FFIM-aholic

1weight wrote:
Dave
When you report you're tying Squirmy Wormies we'll get you to a meeting.

Ron

What's wrong with Gummi worms?

PostPosted: January 31st, 2019, 9:51 pm 
FFIMer

Dave I never thought I'd tie a mop fly myself. I was at a fly fishing show laughing at a dealer selling bags of the pieces of mop. Then an old timer laughed at me and said don't laugh until you try them. Well I did buy some and did a little research on them. Turns out that fly won a one fly contest years ago. Long story short they work. I ended up getting some different color mop slippers on the auction site. I have more than I'll ever use if anyone needs to go to the "dark side"

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2019, 8:53 am 
FFIM Addict

Dave,
A Chartreuse and Fluorescent Mop jig produced a brown yesterday jigging with a minnow not 4' away. Tied just like a mop fly except as a jig pattern.

Ron

Sir John Buchan