FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St John(Virgin Islands)
PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 11:13 am 
FFIMer

So, I’m realizing this is actually my first post, I barely have time to THINK about fishing after having a kid 7 mo ago, let alone read forums ha. Anyway, my name is Sylvan, and I live in South Portland.

My question is wether anyone knows any guides or charters on St John. Both shops I go to here didn’t have any info so I thought I’d check here. Internet info is spotty since the hurricane, so it’s hard to tell who’s up and running. I’ve heard you can’t fish from shore so is there even a fishery for fly fishing? Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 3:25 pm 
FFIMer

My wife and I went spent a week there for our 20th anniversary. I was told that fishing wasn’t allowed on the beach, so I left my gear at home. Then I met a guy on the ferry that had a fly rod and he said he planned on catching bonefish. I don’t know how he made out, but I snorkeled the beach every day and saw large schools of jacks, barracuda from 1-4ft long and a bunch of other predatory fish that I couldn’t identify. I’d say bring your gear and fish the trough right at the beach edge.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 5:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I spent a week there in 2001. Brought my 7 and 8 wt. Should've brought the 8 and 10 wt. Caught one bonefish, lots of jacks, blue runners, cero mackerel ( like a Spanish mack), weird reef fish, cudas, jumped some tarpon and got several snook. I fished all over the Island ( rented a Dodge Durango and piled everyone in- they drank on the beach an played backgammon- I fished). That was my first bonefish.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 5:57 pm 

Somewhere in the archives are some questions about this that I asked a long time ago. (Hope we can save those archives . . . . . :D )

As I recall the bottom line, there are bonefish there, but it's not a destination like Belize or the Bahamas or some other Carribbean spots. More like Puerto Rico, with some bones and other species available, but not common.

I don't remember anyone suggesting guides for inshore fishing. My brother in law found a charter to fish off shore for dorado and sailfish when he was there.

Edited to add--needed some photos of fish in warm water, so hit the Google for a fix.

Came up with this guide service: https://arawakexp.com/fish/bonefish/

And this on Trip Advisor re: DIY: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k9598044-DIY_fly_fishing_on_St_John_Bonefish_tarpon_and_permit-St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 7:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I fished off the beach and rocks in st. Thomas just across the bay from St . John. Got a few rainbow runners and reef fish on small chartreuse deceivers.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau