FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 20th, 2019, 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I don't often mention Henryville Specials but I fish them almost as much as I fish the Usual and that's a lot. I like bright green and olive for body colors and I fish the fly dry (both dead drift and skittering) and I often pull the fly under just like I do with the Usual and fish it on a swing - even stripping it. Seems to work.

Muddlers and Hornbergs are two other flies that I fish both wet and dry. Curious what others might like for flies that fish both wet and dry.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 4:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

Emergent Caddis. Works dry, skittered, wet, in the film, even stripped back as a sort of tiny streamer. It’s my most versatile fly.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm 
FFIMer

There are several traditional wet flies that fish well both ways. My favorite is the Whickhams Fancy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Mc7o0ueHM

PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 9:22 pm 
FFIM-aholic

A friend of mine swore by the Hemingway caddis, those mallard wings are not good for the blood pressure. Simply a maddening tie... for me at least :lol:

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 11:26 am 
FFIMer

It just now occurred to me that the Henryville special and the Whickhams Fancy are almost identical ties with different materials. Perhaps tying color variations would be productive.
I discovered the dry fly qualities of the Wickhams Fancy by accident. I went to the river one day with just my box of traditional wet flies and tied on a Whickhams and some other fly. I cast them down and across and got a fish on my first cast as the Whickhams was skating across the surface on the swing. I repeated this a few cast later and removed the dropper. I hadn't noticed that there were a few caddis flies skating on the surface and disappearing. I caught 20 plus fish before losing my third and last fly. All the fish hit the fly while it was moving on the surface during the swing or just at the end of the swing as the fly submerged. I have been so focused on nymphs and emergers, that I haven't fished or tied any of these in a while. So, I'm off to the vise to whip some up. Thanks for the reminder Mike.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 11:52 am 
FFIMer

The Klinkhammer has been a favorite of mine. Sits up nice for the float but works really well at the end of the drift. I give it a tug to submerge it just before the swing. Not quite the same as fishing it wet I guess. :D

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 12:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

TMarcheeti,
Those two patterns are pretty close. I'm going to tie up some Whickham's Fancy patterns and add it to my cast when I'm swinging a trio of wets. I've heard about the pattern for quite a while now (like since I started tying) but for some reason have never tied any. I love to watch Davie McPhail tie. I just can't seem to set a pair of wings on the way he does. He's certainly one of those "good" tiers who make every step look easy.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 1:52 pm 
FFIMer

Mike Holt wrote:
TMarcheeti,
Those two patterns are pretty close. I'm going to tie up some Whickham's Fancy patterns and add it to my cast when I'm swinging a trio of wets. I've heard about the pattern for quite a while now (like since I started tying) but for some reason have never tied any. I love to watch Davie McPhail tie. I just can't seem to set a pair of wings on the way he does. He's certainly one of those "good" tiers who make every step look easy.

Davie is awesome! I have been a self taught tier since 1976 and my tying has improved dramatically since I started watching him. I really like his technique for tying in the palmered hackle with the rib wire. Setting those wings takes practice, but if you follow his technique it works. Mine never look as good as his, but the fish don’t seem to care. Sometimes I think the more mangled it looks, the more the fish like it. I only tied 12s in the past, I might try some 14s, but 16s might be too small for me.