FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 26th, 2019, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scissors
PostPosted: January 25th, 2019, 7:23 pm 
FFIMer

I’m looking at buying some new fine point tying scissors. Any recommendations for some that hold up and get in close? I’ve been using Wiss thread nippers for years and love them for general tying, but they are not great for getting in tight places.

Post subject: Re: Scissors
PostPosted: January 25th, 2019, 7:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

I like my Dr. Slick arrow point scissors. I can get in tight enough to clip a single barb of hackle that gets caught up in a whip finish.

Ron

PS; Was tying some tiny flies a while back and was having trouble with hackle getting fetched up in my whip finish, did a double half hitch on my half hitch tool and slid it tight against the hackle and pulled the not tight. It cinched down and pushed the hackle barbs back just enough to finish the fly Slick like it is outside since the rain.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 25th, 2019, 8:32 pm 
FFIMer

1weight wrote:
I like my Dr. Slick arrow point scissors. I can get in tight enough to clip a single barb of hackle that gets caught up in a whip finish.

Ron

PS; Was tying some tiny flies a while back and was having trouble with hackle getting fetched up in my whip finish, did a double half hitch on my half hitch tool and slid it tight against the hackle and pulled the not tight. It cinched down and pushed the hackle barbs back just enough to finish the fly Slick like it is outside since the rain.

Ron

Thanks
Have you had them for a while? how have they held up for you?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2019, 8:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have used these small snips for 20 years now. Bought a mess of them so the cost was reasonable then, Small lightweight and sharp.

Made by Gingher.

Attachment:
Gingher.jpg
Gingher.jpg [ 43.86 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]

PostPosted: January 25th, 2019, 8:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Anvil midge scissors. I love them and have had them for MANY years. Maybe 6-7 years?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’ve had mine for probably 8-10 years. I just touched them up this past week. I like to just push the blade into the thread to slice it after I whip finish. They weren’t slicing like I wanted, but are now much better.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 26th, 2019, 9:20 am 
FFIMer

Thanks folks. I am going to order the Dr. Slicks and the Anvil midge and see which I like best. It sounds like one or the other will be a good backup pair.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 3:20 pm 
FFIMer

Most are going to be pretty good but the tips on some (even those that say fine) are thick in the perpendicular dimension. On the side dimension the tips are ground down pretty good but turn them 90 degress and you see the steel is still kind of thick. I have found the "standard' Dr. Slicks to be fairly well shaped. Also can recommend the Razor scissors from them. The Tiemco scissors with the plastic finger loop guards are really quite good...in fact the Tiemco razors are crazy good..here is the link to the standard Tiemcos...sometimes they are referred to as deer hair scissors...this is wrong they have fine short points and are of great quality.
https://www.caddisflyshop.com/tiemco-sc ... 7UQAvD_BwE