FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 18th, 2019, 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vest / Sling Pack
PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 6:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Okay, I can’t hold out any longer.

First, I have never had a vest... my first item was a chest pack. It was about a 10”x10” square on my chest with the same size on the back. I out grew it, and since have gone back to it. It is made by Cold Water Pack company and was a splurge at Hunters in New Boston... I think it was $35 at the time. It is well built and bobble free, so it’ll probably last as long as I do. My mother in law replaced a zipper which I blew out from overloading. So I upgraded.

I moved onto a Watermark “chest pack” with two D Sized packs on the front (boob location), but the clincher was the small backpack on the back about the size of the big pocket on the back of the vest. It holds a hydration pack that I LOVE and plenty of space for lunch, the small first aid kit, lighter, leatherman, spare spool etc. even room for a small thermous for cold days and a packable raincoat. the problem with everything you store on your back I find is getting to it while on the water. No issue when doing a full break on shore. I have used it as an awesome pillow for a nap as well.

My well intentioned brother got me a vest once, I liken that to him picking out my wife, dog or naming my first born. I still have it but don’t use it.

I have never considered a sling pack because hour much I loath having to get to the stuff on my back.

I have made do with two total no name packs and have really enjoyed both enough to name them here... even though both companies don’t appear to be in business any longer.

On an impulse I picked up another watermark item on eBay today. Report to follow... even if they can no longer be found :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 8:54 pm 
FFIMer

I run a LLBean Rapid River vest/pack, standard vest style in the front with a big pack on the back. The lumbar belt is a huge help taking the weight of the pack off your shoulders and back. It has 12 pockets accessible while wearing the pack, and 3 on the back, as well as several small mesh pockets on the inside. Most days I run my 3 primary boxes up front, I always keep a small pocket up front free for trash and mono clippings, a box that I think I may need on each of the belt pockets and sometimes throw another.. or two others.. in the backpack. Sometimes I keep a spare reel, or sinking line, in the backpack also. In the smaller of the two backpack pockets I keep a lighter, a Swiss army knife, a folding single blade knife, a whistle, couple of Cliff bars, and some rope. I also keep a water bladder in the back for day trips. Way too much stuff... way too much weight. I've tried to cut back, but have a hell of a time leaving fly boxes at home.

Peter

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 3:10 pm 
FFIMer

I am a long time Simms guide vest user...I still have the one I bought at Eldrege in the mid 90's but it is shot...its pockets are stretched - zippers are failing and velcro is not sticking...its actually been like this for about 5 years but lost a small Wheatley on the Madison last summer and bought the closest thing to that which I could find locally which was the Simms mesh vest. Its good but doesnt quite have the capacity I am used to so I will probably throw down for a Guide vest this spring. Anyhow...I did try a couple stints with the slings and chest and ass packs and just am a "vest guy".
The closest thing to the Orvis TacklePack is that Simms Guide ...they do have a G3 which is the guide vest on steroids...
We vest guys better get them before they decide to stop making them period.