FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 26th, 2019, 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vest / Sling Pack
PostPosted: January 19th, 2019, 6:40 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I sometimes get asked when I'm going to catch up with the times and get a Sling Pack.
I think about it but where would I put this stuff:

Post subject: Re: Vest / Sling Pack
PostPosted: January 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’m thinking of getting a sling pack.......but only for certain very specific situations........like the PMD hatch on the Spring Creeks, or the Trico Spinners on the Big Horn.

Like Mike, I carry so much s### that the Sling Pack has to have a very specific function. (Although
I don’t think I have quite as much stuff in my chest pack as Mikedoes in his Super TacLPac.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 19th, 2019, 6:53 pm 
FFIMer

yea Mike ..stick with the vest :lol: ..all kidding aside I love my Patagonia vest/sling pack ..check it out best of both worlds

PostPosted: January 19th, 2019, 9:30 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Same here... the lighter and toilet paper are non negotiables. I have saved a lot of space by going to the flat boxes for nymphs which helps as opposed to those fat C&Fs

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 8:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF - You're right about the TP and lighter. Right also I think about the fat C&F boxes. They protect my flies and hold them well but they're thick. I loaded up a flat box the beginning of last season with favorite flies so I'd be sure to use it. I liked it. I think part of the maintenance I'm doing to help pass the storm will be converting a couple of C&F boxes to the flat boxes.

CDC - I've been using that Super Tac-L-Pak so long I'll probably never switch. Except for the fact that it's getting hard to find a good vest everybody is switching to some sort of pack it seems. Lee Wulff must be rolling over in his grave. :-)

Dave M - Specific packs like that have sure made my life easier. I have two of the Orvis forerunner to the Sling Pack and one is set up for salt and the other for my longer than normal or more strenuous freshwater hikes. I got tired of rigging for a specific trip by robbing from my vest and then forgetting to put it back until I reached for it and it wasn't there.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 8:27 am 
FFIMer

Cool to see that collection. Amazing it all fits!

I'm increasingly frustrated with all the zippers and pockets filled with boxes of flies I can't seem to leave at home. It's amazing how quickly I can forget which pocket/box has which fly I need in it when the fish start showing.

I'm considering a Richardson Chest Fly box. I'd still probably wear a vest for all the other baubles, but it would be nice to have the easy access to the flies. Last time I saw one was about 25 years ago, but they're still being made.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 9:19 am 
FFIM Addict

I use a Filson strap vest. Kind of a cross between a day pack/waist pack. Still able to carry plenty. If I went back to vest it would be their Guide vest. It looks as though I could load it up enough to not be able to stand up without a helper. You never know, you may want to tie on that fly that hasn't ever been tied on, that you tied 15 years ago but has been on every trip since then.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 10:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

I agree with Mike. Can’t be swapping across multiple set ups... great way to forget the essientials thst you need in a pinch.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 11:07 am 
FFIM Addict

I've run into that problem with having a couple pair of waders. Getting them set the same. I had one pair in CT and another for Maine fishing. It took me a long time (not sure why) to get them set the same. You get used to reaching for something and then if it isn't there "Oh No Mr Bill"
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 4:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

I will always be a vest man- not least because I rest my arms on the lower front pockets as I cast/watch the fly float downstream. A comfortable cest FAR exceeds the chest packs I have had, and I listen t the frustration of the sling pack people I fish with-advantages are balanced off with disadvantages.

Hutch

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 10:36 am 
FFIMer

If it's capacity you're concerned with, I got a sling pack from ll bean two years ago and I haul a stupid amount of gear in there. Ton of storage.

I got it because I don't like a lot of bulk out in front of me in my view walking. Very easy to slip around in front of you as a little work station if you need to re rig.

I am considering one of those micro chest packs for just essentials but still carry a backpack or sling if im out in the willy wags for the day.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 12:21 pm 
FFIM-aholic

For me capacity has equal standing with organization. Not being able to locate something like my hook sharpening stone because it has slid to the bottom of my pack and is hiding under something else drives me nuts. The vest I wear has 32 pockets and I can tell you right where my hook hone is because it's always in the same pocket - day in and day out. (not those pockets are all full by the way)

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Mike- the Orvis Guide Sling pack will hold all that, but it's HEAVY.... I have the Patagonia Atom Sling, which I like a lot. I am now going even more minimalist though- Check this out:

https://crsoutfitters.com/products/c-f- ... pack-large

I have a small one for small streams and a large for everything else. I carry 3, 4,5,6 tippet, nippers and hemostats, floatant on a single loop lanyard and a couple of cigars in my pocket and that's it.

If I am swinging, I carry small fishspond sushi roll and spool of 1x or 2x and that's it.

Saltwater- Ziploc with 10 flies, spool of 15 lb fluoro, pliers, stripping basket and that's it.

I always have a lighter and a leatherman as well. I keep a Patagonia tackle bag in the truck with all my fly boxes, tippet, reels, etc. and grab what I need for the day.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 2:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I've evolved into a minimalist. I catch 90% of my fish on probably 6 flies. 90% of the time, I carry one box with those 6 in various sizes. That box along with some tippet and a few other essentials is all I need. I do keep a Patagonia Stormfront sling in my truck with all of my other boxes & gear, but I rarely wear that.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 5:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

Guys, it is the learning thing. I wore out an Orvis vest which I bought when I first started fishing- I think it lasted about 20 seasons...then the key was finding another vest with pockets in the same place- and there are a LOT of pockets. It takes me a LONG time to learn the placement of something if I move it to a different place. My dry fly mayfly box is ALWAYS on the inside right front pocket- with my nymphs being on the outter pocket on that side. On the left, inside are the buggars (which get switched out for hoppers in Montana), and outside-in the #1 place, is caddis. Midges are top left small box, and tippet is top right side. Split shot ALWAYS goes inside right front, and bobbers in left side inside.

Too much to re-learn.

Hutch