FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 18th, 2019, 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 10:07 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I think some of you know but I recently took a new job that required me to relocate to Grand Rapids, MI. It's a nice city as far as cities go with over 80 local breweries, lots of bike paths in and around the city and plenty of places to fish. The Grand River runs right through downtown and has a good run of KING but more importantly STEELHEAD. The Grand is a tough wading river but the good news for me is that the Rogue River flows into the Grand and has a nice run of steelies AND it's 5 minutes from my office in Rockford, MI.
The Pere Marquette and the White are also a quick 90 minute drive away. All three rivers also have brown (the PM has some BIG browns) and rainbows.

I did a bit of scouting on the Rogue this past weekend and it looks like an easy river to fish and navigate as it's not any wider than the Kennebago or Magalloway. The two local shops I visited, Nomad Anglers and Great Lakes Fly Fishing Shop have been a great source of information. My hope, once I get back from Hong Kong and Denmark, is to go explore the Rogue and then work my way up to the Pere Marquette later in the season. Key runs usually happen in March and April and the talk is that since the fall/winter run wasn't that great that the spring run will be. Not sure why that is but history seemed to play a role in one shops opinion.

There's two schools out here in terms of fishing for steelhead. There's the nymphers and there's the swingers. Neither group tends to go the otherway but I think I'm going to go both ways! :D . Started tying this past weekend - both nymphs and some swinging flies. I also put my good friend Vermonter on the case to tie up some swingers that are way above my skill level. I did ask about fishing two flies and it doesn't seem to be done much. Most nymphers use unweighted flies and then set splitshot up the leader. I'm thinking a Ken B Famous Leech would be a good top fly instead of the splitshot!

Oh, I a new fishery also calls for new equipment. Bought a slightly used Sage rod and looking into a new reel too. And I might even have to buy a bigger net!

If anyone finds themselves out this way and wants to fish, please let me know.

Signed the soon to be new Dave M.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 11:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Don’t overlook the Muskegon Ken. I had some good luck on there when working out that way.

Oh- and congrats on the new job. You’re going to like exploring the local fishing scene.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 7:37 am 
FFIMer

Ken,

Congrats on the move. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in that area, nothing material to add to your post except that the upper Au Sable, specifically the parts you can access near Gates Lodge (great, cheap place to stay btw) and the holy water/Mason tract are excellent trout waters. Good hatches, big fish. They have some very unique river boats they guide out of up there, worth a day with a guide in my experience.

Send pics.

Matt

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 9:37 am 
FFIM-aholic

Let me know when it is dialed in... easy fights!

Exploring a new place is awesome fun. Enjoy.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 2:27 pm 
FFIMer

Ken, you still have the place in Rangeley?

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 7:31 pm 

I used to fish the Rogue a bit. I was exiled to Michigan for a few years.

I had no idea what I was doing, but I did catch a couple of steelhead.

My favorite Michigan waters were in the UP, which is not a lot closer to you than Maine is, but plan a trip when you want to get away. In the lower Peninsula I really liked the Pigeon, the Black and the Sturgeon. If I remember right, Wolverine (where I assume you are working?) had an outlet store in the little town of Wolverine, and there was some great fishing on the Sturgeon just upstream of the town park in Wolverine.

You should hook up with Kathy and David and get the local tour.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 8:45 am 
FFIMer

Congratulations on the new job and move. Best of luck to you with your new rivers and streams!

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 1:08 pm 
FFIMer

A few on the way to give a swing Ken! I can only say they work great in Bristol Bay...

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 3:42 pm 
FFIMer

You really have landed in a great place for fishing. When I lived in Cleveland OH we used to go up to Traverse City & Roger City to fish as there was zero fly fishing in OH at that time. The Boardman river and lake tribs are great for Salmon runs and browns. Not far away is Grayling with the Pere Marquette and Au Sable which are famous FF rivers. Also, if you journey further up to the UP there is really great rural river fishing (like Northern ME) without the mountains. In addition, the St. Catherine in Canada just across from Sault St. Marie has a wonderful steel run.
Plus, if nothing else, you are 1200 miles closer to MT.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 10:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

Can I have your camp?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 6:33 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Matt,

No.

Keeping it!

Ken

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 7:30 am 
FFIM-aholic

Ken, I am totally happy to sleep at your camp in May and September to make sure that Matt doesn’t steal it?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 8:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

Dial in those steelhead - company's coming!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 9:38 am 
FFIM Addict

Salmosebago wrote:
Dial in those steelhead - company's coming!

There goes the new neighborhood.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 10:34 am 
FFIM Addict

You'll be learning about snow removal in a totally different way being in the lee of the lake. I have a feeling that the snow in Michigan is a bit denser than the snow in Rangeley. Probably more like your southern NH but in much greater quantities. I spent a couple years working from South of GR to the Petoskey area. Loved exploring the 2 tracks with my Michigan Gazeteer.

Ron

Sir John Buchan