FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 17th, 2019, 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 8:09 am 
FFIMer

bearbutt wrote:
A "new and improved website" that loses 100% of its historical data is definitely not "improved". Anyone in my business who did something like that would be summarily fired. What makes this community valuable is its history--rod history, fly history, Maine History--and there's a lot of great stuff that has been posted that involved, on the part of the posters, a lot of historical work and thought. The chatroom noise that occurs is something different. History matters, and the history on these Boards can be found nowhere else.

My suggestion is to defer any platform changes until you've sorted out how to archive FFIM, and make it easily accessible and searchable--and make sure the embedded image links stay in place.

bb

This^

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 10:04 pm 
FFIMer

oldman wrote:
I have not been on here for a while so when does this have to be done

It should happen one day this month, there will be a day when the site will look different, then you will need to create a new username and password, we are hoping people will use the same username.

We understand the disappointment in loosing the information on this forum, and I agree that it is a shame to loose it. What everyone must understand is FFIM is a nonprofit organization with a very small operating budget. That budget does not allow us to spend a significant amount of money to keep a website running just as an archive.

Peter

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 10:54 pm 
FFIMer

Just wondering, Peter, what is the yearly cost to run this website?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 9:03 pm 
FFIMer

I conferred with a software developer who develops websites, and is familiar with the phpbb software used for the FFIM site. He recently worked on upgrading the Flymph Forum, which also uses phpbb software, and FFIM can be upgraded similarly.

The key advantage of phpbb is that it is free and open-source software.

Even if you move to another, entirely different software, you can archive the entire FFIM site to read-only with a search function for the cost of web hosting ($7-8 per month).

I'm not convinced this is "too expensive".

bb

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 9:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Peter drinks beer that costs 3x that much... for one :wink:

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 9:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Could we at least keep it for a month or two, so I can pull off the important stuff?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau