FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently March 23rd, 2019, 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North......Way North!
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 5:05 pm 
FFIMer

I’m looking for a reasonably priced adventure in Labrador, New Foundland or Quebec. Has anyone done a trip in recent years that they would recommend ? Salmon or Trout.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 7:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

I congratulate you for looking north. I fished both Quebec and Labrador a number of years ago so my price point is way different than what you will find now. Im guessing a reasonably priced trip today would be in the $4000-5000 range depending on how you plan to get their. For example if you have the time you can drive to many northern spots in Quebec and Lab.

We had a great trip to Riverkeep Lodge, really spectator fishing. See http://www.riverkeeplodge.com/

Ive heard good reports on the Mckenzie River Lodge http://mckenzieriverlodge.com/en/

And also Three Rivers Lodge http://www.trophylabrador.com/

Good luck with your search and planning.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 9:09 pm 
FFIMer

Take a look at Kepimets Lodge that's an "outpost" camp of Libby's Camps in Labrador. It's upstream of Riverkeep Lodge with fishing for brookies, salmon and tongue. The service is basic, at least it was when we went several years ago, and the rates reflect that but the fishing is good and the service is good enough.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 9:33 pm 
FFIMer

I'll second Three Rivers Lodge. Fantastic adventure and some of the best fishing on the planet.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 9:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian Haddock wrote:
Take a look at Kepimets Lodge that's an "outpost" camp of Libby's Camps in Labrador. It's upstream of Riverkeep Lodge with fishing for brookies, salmon and tongue. The service is basic, at least it was when we went several years ago, and the rates reflect that but the fishing is good and the service is good enough.

At $3800 a week Kepimets is a damn good deal. A little rough but pretty good fishing.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 9:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

Tinsnip wrote:
I'll second Three Rivers Lodge. Fantastic adventure and some of the best fishing on the planet.

Our friend here, Vermonter, has a story to tell about Three Rivers. In fact Jim Babb wrote about him in Greys Journal.

My own story is much less exciting. Back in 97-98 or thereabouts we had a reservation for Three Rivers. During the winter ownership changed and the $1500 we had planned to pay jumped to $3000. Not unreasonable considering the going rates up there at the time but a lot for us. We went west instead for the $1500.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 10:33 pm 

It wouldn't be a mistake to visit any of the above places, especially 3 Rivers, but...if I were going to make that kind of commitment, I think I would check out this place - it's wayer north than all those places...

https://www.arcticcharfishing.net/

Tight Lines!

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 10:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian,
That little video imbedded in that site reminded me of a spot I seem to have fond memories of.
Plus some videos of.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 4th, 2019, 8:22 am 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
Tinsnip wrote:

Our friend here, Vermonter, has a story to tell about Three Rivers. In fact Jim Babb wrote about him in Greys Journal.

My own story is much less exciting. Back in 97-98 or thereabouts we had a reservation for Three Rivers. During the winter ownership changed and the $1500 we had planned to pay jumped to $3000. Not unreasonable considering the going rates up there at the time but a lot for us. We went west instead for the $1500.

Yeah, not the cheapest trip. And I'm not in the habit of being so spendy. But this was 2007 and my business had done well so I treated myself. Not sure what happened with Vermonter, I guess everyone has their own experience. I loved it and would go back again if I could find a way to hypnotize my wife into seeing less zeros on the check.

There was a lot of this:

Attachments:
3Rivers-2007-60.jpg
3Rivers-2007-60.jpg [ 145.15 KiB | Viewed 1325 times ]

PostPosted: January 5th, 2019, 1:28 pm 
FFIMer

A group of us from NH went to 3 rivers about 7 years ago. The fishing was spectacular. Big brookies and many of them. I would love to go back. That being said, with the lower rates and tax rebate available at the time it ended up costing each person us about $1000 (US) per day. We drove to Lab City from NH (1000 mi each way) so the total cost included lodge rate, motels, gas, meals during transit, and tips for guides and camp staff.
Plan accordingly!

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 9:28 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks folks for the post. I have spent the best part of 2 days on the web. If nothing else I’ve come to the conclusion fly fishers need a better search engine.... maybe our own.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

Quote:

Not sure what happened with Vermonter, I guess everyone has their own experience.

Vermonters (Bob Erickson) experience was catching an 11lb Brookie on his last day.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 12:38 pm 
FFIMer

I went to Three Rivers twice, 04 and 06. Very different experiences, both fantastic. 04 was late August and the fishing was hard, (6) trout a day was a good day. But, all were big! In 06, I went the opening week. The fishing was easier, with a mix of sizes. The staff, Newfoundlanders, were amazing, the humor, once you got it, contagious. Don’t know if it is still offered, but the fly out for Arctic Char was well worth it! Up until that point, price scared me. Being diagnosed with prostate cancer changed that. If you love brook trout, it is heaven.

Since then I’ve had the opportunity to fish a lot of exotic places, all North. I’ll plug this once more. To me, nothing comes close to the Alaskan (Bristol Bay) float trip. Incredible numbers, and variety of large fish. Wildlife, scenery, solitude, camping, float plane flying, it has it all in spades. I’ve gone every year since 2010, and will continue until I can’t. Don’t wait, climate change, that Chinese hoax, is having an effect. It will be different, and not in a good way, soon.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 4:40 pm 
FFIMer

Vermonter wrote:
...The staff, Newfoundlanders, were amazing, the humor, once you got it, contagious.

YES! Wicked nice people. I had the same guide for the last 4 days of the trip and ended up feeling like a long lost brother. Aside from the fishing, the people/staff were a treat.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 7:09 pm 
FFIMer

Alaska.... I did a 10 day rainbow float trip in 2014. The fishing trip that all others will be measured. I truly wish that all fly fishers have the chance to experience once in their life time.