FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 19th, 2019, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perdigon Nymphs ?
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 2:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Do any of you use these? They seem to be incredibly simple to tie, but are the exact opposite of the Nymphs I was taught to tie over 40 years ago.

When I started to tie Nymphs I was taught to use dubbing raked right off the hide ( either squirrel or hare) and to definitely include the guard hairs to make them as fuzzy as possible. Even to roughing up the Nymph with either a dubbing brush or an old toothbrush.

Perdigons seem to be exactly the opposite. Completely smooth, with no guard hairs at all. I guess the Spanish and French use these quite a bit.......do any of you? Tim.....Did you use these when you were in France?

I’m hesitant to tie these up.......just because they’re the exact opposite of what I think a good Nymph should be tied like. Anybody?

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Perdigon Nymphs ?
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 3:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

Roundaboutcaddis uses them, but then- I suspect he also fishes with worms.

I think RAC is locked out from posting on FFIM (something about a new cell phone) but if you put a Sir Mix-A-Lot tape in the tape deck and drive around Boothbay blasting your audio really loud- I suspect you'll find him dancing with a shovel in one hand and cigarette in the other. If nothing else- it will give you one last chance to annoy the recently departed Gov'nah before he heads to sunny Florida to bloat around like a manatee.

Btw- if anyone sees Tark- tell him the boy known as Courtney is looking for him (to help reset his FFIM password).

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 3:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave there is a Frenchman guiding on the Farmington confused by his origin parading as if from Vermont with a place in CT. That uses them on the Farmington. I think the smoothness is to get them to sink faster.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 7:01 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
Roundaboutcaddis uses them, but then- I suspect he also fishes with worms.

I think RAC is locked out from posting on FFIM (something about a new cell phone) but if you put a Sir Mix-A-Lot tape in the tape deck and drive around Boothbay blasting your audio really loud- I suspect you'll find him dancing with a shovel in one hand and cigarette in the other. If nothing else- it will give you one last chance to annoy the recently departed Gov'nah before he heads to sunny Florida to bloat around like a manatee.

Btw- if anyone sees Tark- tell him the boy known as Courtney is looking for him (to help reset his FFIM password).

Yes... RAC is locked out... and yes we are working on that and all the other issues with the site... hopefully all will be fixed soon.

Dave, I have tied perdigons, they are simple and quick to tie... but like you I'm hesitant on their effectiveness. They dont look buggy, so I hardly every fish them.. if ever.

Peter

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hi Dave,

They are primarily Spanish, and yes, I have used them... with a guy in Spain. They are small, thin, heavy and slick, which are all designed to get them down into the zone fast. Spain’s trout water are largely mountain freestones. You would fish them on a tight line, within a rod length in a FAST water. They don’t look like much more than a brassie, but the idea is that in those really fast short drifts, they just need to illicit an urgent aggression strIke, more than a “match the hatch” type inspection. Those free stone aren’t particularly fertile, like ours, so the fish are eager and this is a way to fish to them in lanes that are otherwise hard to get down to fast enough. I find the colors make sense for those aggression strikes but I do wonder why they overdo it on some of the details, I lost tons of them.

These wouldn’t be used as much in France (outside of the mountains) because their rivers are largely slow and clear and you need to be more representative of what is in the system. Plus, they would sink and be on the bottom before anything could eat them. Like a spring creek. The French use very small unweighted nymphs upstream (maddening).

I know what you mean about how they compare to our buggy nymphs, but I would just liken them to a brassie, copper John, or any other hard bodies nymph. But in the end their sole purpose is to get down fast, fish a 4’ run, and catch a fish’s eye.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 8:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My guess is they won't stand the test of time. There have been molded hard lures and flies around for a long time - they come and they go. No fly or lure can rely solely on attraction or, I should say, I haven't found one yet.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 8:07 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Ps - one night in Spain I got a nice brown in a pretty brown and was pretty pleased with myself after about 1.5 hrs of dredging, covering a 50’ run, top to bottom twice . The guy across from me caught no less than 10 trout in the same amount of time without moving his feet and fishing within a rods length. Many were TINY.

There is something to be said for their Style.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau