FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 17th, 2019, 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reel Seat Repair
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 10:25 am 
FFIMer

Took a digger with this rod in hand quite a few years ago,damaged the end and lost the butt cap.
What do you guys think would be the best bet to fix it, no real damage except a few threads and seat end is out of round. Do not think the whole reel seat needs replacing or will a new butt cap cover the end damage.. ? Maybe one of those nifty rubber ones

Attachments:
P1010108.JPG
P1010108.JPG [ 114.51 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]

Post subject: Re: Reel Seat Repair
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 10:51 am 
FFIM Addict

K-Fly
That is a pretty simple fix. Cut or file the damaged threads to square up (a dremel tool would be my choice) used judiciously. And replace with either a cap or plug to your desire. If a flat cap is used a wooden slug glued into bore would increase your gluing surface.
"jannsnetcraft" has a decent selection of different types of butt hardware. Epoxy your choice in place.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 12:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
K-Fly
That is a pretty simple fix. Cut or file the damaged threads to square up (a dremel tool would be my choice) used judiciously. And replace with either a cap or plug to your desire. If a flat cap is used a wooden slug glued into bore would increase your gluing surface.
"jannsnetcraft" has a decent selection of different types of butt hardware. Epoxy your choice in place.

Ron

If overall length is an issue- Ron's suggestion of an extension glued into the bore is a good one, as the butt cap should cover the bunged up threads. As far as getting it back to round- that may be as easy as flexing it in a vice enough to get the bore extension in place to hold it close to round. I'm assuming the out of round doesn't continue into the area needed for the ring screw lock. If it does- you may consider replacing the threaded component with a new section (this may require cutting the old section off with a dremel or similar tool if it is epoxied solidly in place).

No matter how you choose to fix it- it's not that big of a project.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 9:24 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the great info..
Looks like if I loose a few threads a new butt cap should cover the damage..
I will be headed to the Marlborough show in a few weeks should be able to pick up parts, will give a another reason to go :roll: