FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 19th, 2019, 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 9:43 am 
FFIMer

Sent you a PM Tinsnip :arrow:

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 12:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch wrote:
I had an SPT from Beans and I flat LOVED that rod...but even Bean's rod shop could not get two sections apart- hence, I had a Orion POS. Just not the same.

Hutch

I have a cherished Sage RPL 4 pc, 9’5wt that’s on somewhat permanent loan from a great friend. It was a 2 pc. For awhile, with two sections each, seemingly welded together. I tried everything but breaking it...something I would never do. And totally unnecessary. The weld is moisture-related swelling. The cure was hanging it up in my basement which runs 80 and BONE DRY from November through mid-April, thanks to our woodstove. Come Spring, those sections slid right apart, effortlessly.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 3:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Damn.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 3:53 pm 

Tinsnip wrote:
kennebecfly: I have a 5 wt of that Sage XP. I used it for one season and realized my stroke liked something different. Mike Holt sold me an Orvis rod and the Sage has been sitting in the tube ever since. If you're interested...

If he does not take you up on this, I will. And I already have one. Just foresee the day it finally wears out and I want a back-up. That is the best 9' 5 I have ever cast.

Also on the list is a Winston LT 8'9" 5 piece 5 weight. Second best all-around 5 weight I've fished, and the best if I was only every going to fish dry. Fit inside a carry on bag or my day pack. Literally wore it out to the point guides were falling off it before I gave it up.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 4:02 pm 

Tinsnip wrote:
Just checked, and yup, it's an XP.

Let the bidding war begin! LOL!

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 4:12 pm 

maineangler wrote:
I have a cherished Sage RPL 4 pc, 9’5wt that’s on somewhat permanent loan from a great friend. It was a 2 pc. For awhile, with two sections each, seemingly welded together. I tried everything but breaking it...something I would never do. And totally unnecessary. The weld is moisture-related swelling. The cure was hanging it up in my basement which runs 80 and BONE DRY from November through mid-April, thanks to our woodstove. Come Spring, those sections slid right apart, effortlessly.

That did not work on mine. I ended up sending it back to Sage after 6 months in my boiler room. They had to break the ferrule to get the two stuck pieces apart, and replaced the broken piece with a new section. (I was really hoping for a full replacement, but alas . . . . )

It still casts really well, but the one new section looks pretty funny flanked by the old beat up ones.

But here is the kicker--they told me before I shipped the rod that they COULD replace any section if needed. Which means they could still make an entire new rod and ship it out! So, who has a connection at Sage who could hook us up? :wink:

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 5:14 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Tinsnip wrote:
kennebecfly: I have a 5 wt of that Sage XP. I used it for one season and realized my stroke liked something different. Mike Holt sold me an Orvis rod and the Sage has been sitting in the tube ever since. If you're interested...

If he does not take you up on this, I will. And I already have one. Just foresee the day it finally wears out and I want a back-up. That is the best 9' 5 I have ever cast.

Turns out he did want it. Apologies to the OP for doing a semi-hijack on this thread. However, I'm happy the rod will end up being used by someone who appreciates it. Everyone's comments make me wonder if I'm mistaken about the rod. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with my current rod and just remember the XP as being faster than I like.

Happy New Year everyone!

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 5:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hutch
Quote:

Hutch, as in many things you have great taste in rods also. I have 2 RPLs both 8-6 5 wts. Sage has replaced butts and tips on both several times over 25 years and they assure me they will continue to do so for as long as needed. Mine are both 2 piece rods, a standard 25 years ago, wish they were 4pc it would make traveling with them easier.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 5:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dry... I do have good rods, but I think this quote was someone else...currently my favorite graphite rod is a running tie between a poor corked handled T-3 and my VXP Sage...though I think the Sage is a little wimpy in long casts. That said, I seem to be fishing a Gray Ghost Beans rod- which I do not care if I break or drop...but it does cast well enough.

Happy New Year- and I hope we all find fish on the rise.

Hutch

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 6:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hutch wrote:
Dry... I do have good rods, but I think this quote was someone else...
Hutch

Yes, sorry should have been addressed to Maineangler.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 6:42 pm 
FFIMer

My 590 RPL is still my every day rod, and I don't ever plan on getting another rod in that weight range unless I inherit one.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 8:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

There are a few XPs on eBay. Not sure what is a fair price.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 10:36 am 
FFIMer

I have a few. For rods, as many have said, the Sage 9' 5wt XP was one of my top two favorite rods. The other was the Orvis 9' 6wt T3. I also REALLY loved the Orvis Brogue zip up boots. SOOO easy to get on and off. And the original Ross Evolution is one of my favorite all time reels.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am 
FFIMer

My long-ago piece of gear isn’t missed because it was so fine. Rather, it’s because it’s the first rod that enabled me to feel how to cast. Up until then I’d been using hand me downs from family members, all fiberglass things that managed to get line out but since I had no clue what a cast should feel like, they were’nt much better than a green stick.

The first rod I purchased on my own was a Sage DS 8’6” 5wt. By today’s standard, a wet noodle. But damn, I could feel the rod load and suddenly understood the rhythm. Ended up donating it to Mike Holt for that summer camp thing.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 5:02 pm 

Wow - where to begin?! Generally speaking the quality and performance of our outdoor gear has improved, but nowadays there is a still a lot of stuff out there that has replaced superior/nicer gear...

Orvis Superfine One Ounce rod series - these rods were a blast to catch fish on and like a feather to cast, no more...

Orvis BBS (Battenkill Bar Stock) reels - just a really nice, simple, handsome reel - but, the new Battenkill C&P reel is an intriguing, incredibly light weight reel that's worth a look...

LL Bean bomber waders - those were the toughest waders I ever owned...

LL Bean Orion II rods - I don't know what the Gen I rods were like but I really liked my Orion II, 4 wt. - unfortunately, that rod is buried in the snow in a very lonely place in Labrador...

LL Bean nylon bush pants - tough, light weight, comfortable & no longer made...

Old Town Canoe Royalex canoes - by no fault of their own, Royalex is no longer available to Old Town, so now their canoes are 20% heavier...

Old Town Adventure series kayaks - comfortable, durable, light & stable kayaks with a good payload & would handle big water - the new Castine & a Necky boat are OK substitutes but not as good...

Eureka Exos backpacking tents and all other brands that were rain proof or had an integral rain fly - finding a good lightweight tent that doesn't employ a rain fly is very difficult - this isn't a big deal until you make or break camp in the rain, which is what I do most of the time...

And FWIW, Keen footwear doesn't seem as durable or comfortable as it did when I first started wearing it...

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot & then I'll forget the things on my list, so it really doesn't matter...happy new year - only 78 days till spring!