FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 17th, 2019, 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Feather Thief
PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 10:11 am 
FFIM Addict

All......

If you’re a fly tier, or just like to read, get this book. Our own friend Ed Muzzy Muzzerol is featured, along with several other prominent full dress Atlantic Salmon fly tiers.

For those of us that tie trout and Striper flies with common materials (e.g. Elk, deer, turkey, etc) feThers that fetch hundreds of dollars (flour I can bustard, cock of the rock, bird of paradise, etc) seem a little far fetched.

Most of us are craftsmen that tie good flies that work......catch trout/LLs, etc.........stay together, whatever,

Salmon fly tiers are artists.

This book is about what’s been referred to as the greatest theft of rare feathers the world had ever seen, and the after effects of the theft. It’s a really good read.

I was talking with Muzzy and Rod McGarry at the Penobscot Fly Tying Symposium a few weeks ago and Muzzy had it. A book well worth your time.

My most expensive chicken feathers are Whiting saddles......at $100 to $125. I can’t even imagine paying the prices for a couple of individual feathers that these feathers cost. My Whiting saddles will tie, and I tie a lot, for literally years. My first Whiting saddle, a Blue Dun, was bought in the early 90’s.....and was ripped apart by my first Boxer. I rescued the feathers, and still have a lifetime supply of those......and am on my fourth Boxer, fwiw.

Get the book......you won’t regret it. Also available on Kindle, for those of us that use that form.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: The Feather Thief
PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 11:40 am 
FFIM Addict

Dave, read the book this summer and really enjoyed it. Quite the deep dive into the world of classic salmon fly tiers, some pretty obsessed folks living there. Most of us who tie have not participated in the Classic Salmon fly world and their fascination with exotic and extremely rare feathers.

I think any serious fly tyer would love this book. Check your local library first, mine had it.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 12:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

my ex wife forwarded my the link to the podcast about it- pretty cool.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 6:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

So where do you go if you need a matched set of Blue Footed Booby chest feathers?? To a museum where they have drawers full and you steal them. What the hell... they're not doing anything with them.

Interesting note about the guy who collected the feathers featured in the book. Alfred Russel Wallace, a contemporary of Darwin's, collected hundreds of bird skins some 150 ago. While in the process of studying and collecting in the most remote parts of the world he developed his own unique theory about animal survival.His conclusions closely match Darwin's own and when he wrote to Darwin telling him his thoughts Darwin damn near had a heart attack. Darwin was just weeks away from publishing his book, the Origin of Species and here was a guy, Wallace, with the same exact conclusions. It all worked out and they become long time friends.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 6:53 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I totally agree, I marvel at the creations I see on the Classic Fly Tying Page devoted to classic salmon flies. Their attention to detail and minuscule critiques are fascinating. Of course, I ball at the amazing fees that people will pay for these feather fibers and had heard the story of the heist. Will give it a read for sure.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 11:16 pm 
FFIMer

It was a great read. Read the book in 3 night before bed time. It seems crazy how people justify their actions.