FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 17th, 2019, 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Euro/Czech Nymphing
PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 10:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

Besides our esteemed moderator, who else has delved into this mysterious world? Santa ( that's me) brought me a 10' 3wt Redington Hydrogen for Xmas. I did a fine job icing the guides and decorating the bottom of the Presumpscot with flies yesterday. The rigging is a challenge (especially with gloves on)- I am not accustomed to leaving that long tag on a blood knot and it confuses my already limited dexterity. I am looking forward to figuring this out and would appreciate any and all advice.

Post subject: Re: Euro/Czech Nymphing
PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 2:04 pm 
FFIMer

I am heading into this as well. There are a ton of YouTube vids about it. We just have to keep in mind the regulations in Maine and the definition of "fly fishing".
I just piked up THIS book and plan to read through. I have also started tying euro style flies in preparation. My one problem is, I can't decide on a 10' or 11' rod. I figured that I will go with a 3WT in either one. How did you decide?

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 3:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

Titleguy,
Why not use a dbl. surgeons not instead. I'm assuming your on your dropper set-up. That is what I use, not that I know what I'm doing. I understand your thoughts on dealing with a long tag, even with the afore mentioned surgeons knot I have to concentrate almost to the point of a headache to get it right.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 9:20 pm 
FFIMer

I got into tight line nymphing last year.
Im using a 10' - 6" rod in 3wt
I was really happy to see some early success.

I SEE TIGHT LINE AS JUST ANOTHER TOOL IN THE BOX TO CATCH FISH, AND A FUN CHALLENGE TO EXCEL AT.

Im getting into tying jig style hooks, as they do reduce snags for your anchor fly.

Im looking forward to taking a big step this year. Fingers crossed.

..."Troutbitten" is a great resource for some of the hybrid techniques out there.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 9:15 am 
FFIM-aholic

1weight wrote:
Titleguy,
Why not use a dbl. surgeons not instead. I'm assuming your on your dropper set-up. That is what I use, not that I know what I'm doing. I understand your thoughts on dealing with a long tag, even with the afore mentioned surgeons knot I have to concentrate almost to the point of a headache to get it right.

Ron

Ron- for some reason I have always used a blood knot. My son who is a recent convert thinks the blood knot tag works better. I have seen uniknots discussed as well.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 9:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

tuckersnator wrote:
I am heading into this as well. There are a ton of YouTube vids about it. We just have to keep in mind the regulations in Maine and the definition of "fly fishing".
I just piked up THIS book and plan to read through. I have also started tying euro style flies in preparation. My one problem is, I can't decide on a 10' or 11' rod. I figured that I will go with a 3WT in either one. How did you decide?

My son uses an 11' 4 wt, but he is going to an 11' 3 wt as the 4 is too stiff. He fishes bigger water. I asked my other buddy in MT and he recommended the 10' 3 wt hydrogen. Price is right too. I am using a reel with a DT 4 on it rather than buying the level line.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 9:18 am 
FFIM-aholic

733SUBDUCKER wrote:
I got into tight line nymphing last year.
Im using a 10' - 6" rod in 3wt
I was really happy to see some early success.

I SEE TIGHT LINE AS JUST ANOTHER TOOL IN THE BOX TO CATCH FISH, AND A FUN CHALLENGE TO EXCEL AT.

Im getting into tying jig style hooks, as they do reduce snags for your anchor fly.

Im looking forward to taking a big step this year. Fingers crossed.

..."Troutbitten" is a great resource for some of the hybrid techniques out there.

Just bought a bunch of jig hooks and slotted beads too. I have not tied any trout flies for years so this is a good side effect.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 9:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

This was a good kick to go back and look for this report... I had almost forgotten how nice that brown was :). viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21516&hilit=+Prague

I have been playing with this for a few years now. A couple thoughts I have developed over that time.

- keep indicators handy, my 10’ 5wt works but only within a few feet off the tip, I have realized that is great when we can get that close but it isn’t all encompassing. This is a good tool to have in the bag but isn’t the only tool I need. This is great for ruffles and pockets less for our big bottomless holes we like to dredge

- dragging the flies downstream is counterintuitive but essential, if you’re not doing this, you aren’t feeling the taps.

- it all clicked for me during the late spring in a run loaded with chubs. For me, practicing on eager fish was really valuable because I got the feel for the whole process end to end, versus assuming I was doing it right in a fishless area. When done right, you can feel the take from a 2” dace even on a 5wt.

- I like the Allen jig hooks, and haven’t found a need for slotted beads.

I don’t think the knots have proven to be very important. However, I have seen the benefit of a “sighter” which is just an indicator of sorts that doesn’t float the flies. I have used NZ WOOL and boiled mono in a coil, both of which served me well.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 10:04 am 
FFIM-aholic

I dove into this about about a year ago after I picked up an 11' 3 WT Greys Streamflex (gently used on ebay). I paired it up with an over-sized (4-5 WT) reel for the proper counterbalance. It take some getting used to but is very effective once you get the hang of it. The hardest thing for me was watching/keeping track of that hi-vis section of leader. I finally settled with a formula I found that i could tie up myself and it included the Amnesia High-Vis (.015). It's easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis with leader lengths, materials, formulas, etc. I just picked one I found and went with it.

Last edited by InTheTrees on December 27th, 2018, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 10:26 am 
FFIM-aholic

I picked up a couple of Rio euro nymphing leaders with the tippet ring at the end of the sighter; it's 11 feet long. I then did a 3' piece of 3 x fluoro to an 18' piece of 4x fluoro with a tag for the top fly and then 18' of 4xx to the anchor fly. As I was troll fishing (under a popular bridge where fish are known to be caught between the solstice and equinox), it was somewhat ungainly. I am hoping for more favorable water and weather conditions this weekend and on Tuesday to bounce around a little more. The slotted beads came with the "kit" I found on ebay- 100 jig hooks in 12, 14, 16, 18 and 50 tungsten beads in various sizes and colors. I've only tied a couple so far- as usual when I think I have enough dubbing, use half as much....

TGIF- I didn't get to fish in Prague- all I did was walk, eat and drink, but I would love to go back and fish in the CR- what an amazing country.