FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 17th, 2019, 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is your......
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 8:46 am 
FFIM Addict

.........most used hook?

For me, hands down, it’s a Tiemco #100 in a size 16. I use that hook in size 10 to 22. Daiichi 1180 is, essentially, the identical hook. For a long time those hooks were made in the same factory in Kobe, Japan, but I’ve heard both of those companies are now making their hooks in Korea. No idea if that’s true, or just a rumor, but both are still great hooks.

I also use, a lot, a TMC 2457, 2487, aNd2488.

For Streamers I prefer a Tiemco 5253, as I really dislike streamer hooks with long shanks (like 6x or 8x) that give the LLs leveage to throw the hook.

I just bought, from Terry, a bunch of Umpqua dry fly hooks in size 20. They’re the “value” line from Umpqua rather than paying$32/100 for Tmcs. They look fine, but time will tell.

I also likeFirehole hooks......but those seem to have oversized gaps. They’re sharp.......but I not sure I like those big gaps.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays........and keep those vises hot. ;-)

Dave M

Post subject: Re: What is your......
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 10:20 am 
FFIM-aholic

I like the Daichi 1120 curved nymph hook. The rest are just mungrle Allen hooks, and Mustad jig hooks that aren’t really fly hooks, but are great for nymphs , they go down to small sizes and the price is really right.

Sorry Dave, I know you’re rolling your eyes right now. :P

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 10:43 am 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
I like the Daichi 1120 curved nymph hook. The rest are just mungrle Allen hooks, and Mustad jig hooks that aren’t really fly hooks, but are great for nymphs , they go down to small sizes and the price is really right.

Sorry Dave, I know you’re rolling your eyes right now. :P

No, Tim......not at all. Perhaps Allen has really stepped up their hook game, which would be very nice. As I said, the first batch I Bought from them......it must be going on five years now......were fine. It was the next several batches that just sucked. If 5hey have upped their game that would be great.

Tiemco’s really have gone into the stratosphere, and not a lot of fly shops carry Daiichi’s. With Dai Riki going down we sure as all get-out don’t want Tiemco to have a monopoly on hooks.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 10:54 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I don’t nearly tie as many flies as the majority of the tyers here and to be honest haven’t really paid much attention to hooks. Sometimes I buy Tiemco, sometimes I buy Diachi. I can’t ever recall any hook breaking or bending unexpectedly. I don’t think the fish know the difference as far as I can tell.

All that said, if I tied as much as Dave, Hutch or Parker then it probably would matter more to me.

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 2:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Mustad hook is general by far.
Orvis Big Eye dry fly hooks for most of my dries.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 2:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Dave,

I was mostly saying that to get you going. :wink:

I don’t know if the quality has changed but I haven’t had a failure on a fish, or I the vice, and I just can’t deal with losing 10 caddis nymphs on $.50 hooks.

Of course, I was painted into the budget corner in moving to France because I felt obliged to buy 3 years worth of everything, which I clearly overestimated, so I won’t be buying hooks, thread, or hard as nails for decades to come.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 24th, 2018, 8:28 am 
FFIMer

I'm really bummed about Dia-riki... I liked those hooks, and now I'll have to find another brand to go with. I uses to buy Tiemco... but not at $8 or $9 per 25, I stopped when they hit $6.50. I've heard good things about Firehole, I'll probably check those out, and Daichi will be a strong contender.

Peter.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2018, 10:01 am 
FFIM Addict

I to was a big fan of Tiemco until they priced themselves out of my budget. They Mod. 102Y was my go to hook for a couple of Farmington patterns I tied and fished. Really liked the wide gap in the small 19-23 sizes. And yes the sizes were in odd numbers vs. even. Have used the Umpqua value hooks. Lately I have settled on 'The Fly Shack' for much of my tying needs. They are a shop over in NY between Albany and Syracuse. I really like their version of the 2487&2487. At 7bucks per100 price can't be beat. They also have both black nickel and traditional colored hooks. For streamers I have a ton of mustard so they pretty much are my choice there.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 24th, 2018, 7:06 pm 
FFIMer

I have some Firehole Hooks but like Dave said the gape is pretty large but man are they sharp. Mustad still gets a lot of use due to selling a lot of my flies. One hook that I have been pretty impressed with is Sabre brand hooks. At 6.99 per 100 they are a great deal and have not had any issues with them. They also carry about every style that I can see.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2018, 12:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

I don’t know much about Sabre or Fly Shop hooks, but Allen was cool because they had a good conversion chart to the name brands. Do either of these have that as well?

PostPosted: December 25th, 2018, 2:44 pm 
FFIMer

I have never seen one for either. Firehole hooks are all barbless, and when I buy Sabre hooks, I look at the description and cross reference from that.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2018, 2:45 pm 
FFIMer

I use Daiichi in a pinch if I can get them for a decent price, especially the 6xl streamer hooks.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2018, 1:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

Well....here is my report on Allen hooks. Over the last 8 days at camp, while she made baskets and money, I spent money and tied flies. Almost all of the flies except the few streamers were on Allen hooks. I ended with 424 flies done, all size #16 or smaller. I found 2 mal-formed hooks-one was their 203BL curved caddis hook, and one was their D-101 #16 dry hook. The initial impression I have on these hooks is that they are Dai Riki hooks re-named...by appearances only. They are sharp, good gapes, and clear eyes. I would expect about the same failure rate w/ Mustad hooks as with the llen hooks so far. In terms of cost, there just is no close comparison other than the "Fly Shop" name hooks. It appears I will be ordering more Allen hooks, and will update if the failure rate changes or quality drops.

Oh- my most used hook is a straight eye, #16 dry...and I have run out of my Tiemco hooks and will not be replacing them due to cost...I can't get Dai Riki hooks anymore, so am open to Allen, or another off name brand. There is room in the market place for a quality cheaper hook, and when the mass of tiers finds it-it will become well known quickly.

Hutch
(THIS JUST IN....SHE made 22 baskets- which kind of beats my number...- oh #2...we watched 9 old movies, none of which any of my students would have ever heard of-)

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 11:33 am 
FFIM-aholic

Still buying my straight eye hooks from Orvis. I admit I still get a discount but their retail on straight eye hooks is better than what I just found for Tiemco.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2019, 11:47 am 
FFIM Addict

All,
Here is a Sale on hooks. jsflyfishing.com
I have nothing to do with this site other than they fill my mail box with tidbits of info.

Ron

Sir John Buchan