FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently March 19th, 2019, 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 2:54 pm 
FFIM Addict

.........in the Nymph Box.

As the season came to a close ,my Nymph Box; a C& F Designs slot box with 300 slots was looking decidedly empty.......as it usually does at the end of every season.

I knew a few days at the vise were in order. My row of # 20 bead head Pheasant Tails was almost depleted.........THE row of #18 bh PT’s was over half empty, and the 16’s had numerous empty slots.

The large #8 bh Black Stone Nymphs wasn’t looking so hot........and the Nancy’s Prayers was down to one (!!) lone #16. Yikes!

The box is now back to chock-a-block full up.......so 300 Nymphs ( almost all bead heads, for what that’s worth) are now ready for the 2019 season.

I finally took out probably 50 flies that I’ve carried around in that box for the last decade, and seldom, if ever, had tied to my tippet. Those went into the stock boxes......or into the trash if I just didn’t like 5he looks of them.

A dozen #16 Gold Ribbed Hares Ear Soft Hackles yesterday finished up that box. I prefer taking my hares ear dubbing right off the hares mask with a dubbing rake........it probably doesn’t make a difference to the trout, but it does to me.

For my PT’s I really like taking the fibers off just the center feather from a Cock Pheasant. The fibres on both sides of the stem on that feather are useful.......on the other feathers just the fibers on one side of the stem are useful.......the opposite side is just junk.

My dry fly box is full to overflowing......it looks like the next box to tackle will be the Midge Box.

Hopefully we’ll all get together at SuperBoo if Hutch and Kat xpcan find a venue........if not, let’s hope we can have a Tie & Lie before Spring.

Off to purchase my lifetime license.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 6:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave-

2 things-

Do you use the dyed P-tails? I am finding the tan dyed tails to be brittle and the fibers break---but when they dn't break, they make a wonderful tan (not brown) nymph that has been stellar for me this year. I went to both Beans and Cabelas Sunday to pick up some parts, but should have kept going to Eldredge Bros... just junk in the two NAME stores.

And...with Dai Riki apparently going under, have you tried the ALLEN company hooks? I just had a small order of these hooks arrive, and they look interchangeable w/ Dai Riki...and are 3.39 per 25 for drys and 2.29 for some wet hooks (per 25). Will see if they stand up.

There is little as painful as watching a full nymph box float away through the rapids---with the expanded insert- about 5-600 flies...use care!
Hutch

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 7:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hutch......

I love the Allen fly boxes. Comparable quality (as in generic) boxes to C & R.......at 25% of the price. Great value.

On to the Allen hooks. The first order I went to them for I was very impressed. Good quality at a very good price. The next several oreders I went to them, the hooks were *awful*. Poor, shanks crooked, eyes not round, and freaking dull, with huge barbs. I threw away three out of every four. I now never order hooks from Allen.

I don’t like dyed PT’s. As you stated above......they’re brittle as all get-out. All my pheasant tails came from a Buddy of mine probably 25 years ago that hunted released pheasants down in southern Maine.

If anybody (hint/hint) has a Wood Duck skin they’re not using......I’d be glad to buy it off of you.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 1:19 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Not the first or last time that I will disagree with DaveM on this, not from a lack of respect, I probably just don’t have as decearning of a take for hooks. But I have done just fine with Allen hooks. One a couple throw always over the years.

The fly boxes are great, just make sure the hinge pin isn’t loose.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau