FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 19th, 2019, 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Festivus Recap
PostPosted: December 10th, 2018, 6:40 pm 

Well, if you weren't there, you should have been...it was a great get together in a cool new (to me) spot - among several other fabulous gifts, I also won Dave Martel's fly selection in the Casting For Recovery raffle - I don't usually covet other fishermens' flies, but a guy would have to be a little stupid not to want some of Dave's - these beautiful flies also came in what is now the nicest box I own too! Here they are - I was hoping Dave might chime in with a little description of each fly and maybe how/when/where he likes to use them - thanks to everyone who showed up and also to those who donated so generously to the CFR raffle - Happy Holidays

Attachments:
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG [ 55.61 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]

Post subject: Re: Festivus Recap
PostPosted: December 10th, 2018, 7:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Sure.....I’m glad you won them, Brian.

These are my variations of Gartside Soft Hackle Streamers......some of my very favorites. I say my vatriations, becauseGartside, If you ever met him at shows, was a rather........ahem.......cantankerous old guy. A friend of mine was watching him tie at a show, and casually mentioned that adding a Bead Head, or cone head, might add to them. Gartside went nuts and just about cussed him out. I add weight to mine........I think it makes them fish better. Certainly not thinking I know more about tying them than the originator of the fly, but since I’m tying them I get to add my variations.

These are all tied with .020 lead free wire on the front half of the shanks.

The White ones in the upper left in the pic are smaller than I usually tie, but some guys/gals like smaller streamers. These are tied on TMC 9395 #8 hooks. With no cone, fish head, or bead.

Under them are #4 TMC 5253 hooks........a Fish Head black with red Krystal flash. I really like those.

On the right are a variation that I don’t fish myself, but I thought Maine anglers might like a Soft Hackle Mickey Finn. Again a TMC 5253 #4 hook, with a large gold cone head.

Under them are my absolute favorite Gartsides.......A lime bead head Olive #4 TMC 5253 with gold flash.

White, Olive, Black, and Yellow are all favorites of mine. I’ve never, to my knowledge, taken a trout or LL on a Mickey Finn......but I suspect these will work gang-busters on Maine Brookies.

I fish these on both a floating line......they’re weighted so they sink just fine, and if I’m on a pond I’ll tie them to a very short (like 4’) leader on a fast sinking line. HTH.

Dave M

PS: If you decide to whip up a few of these, use the best marabou that you can get your hands on, and use only the front half of the hook. Tie the marabou on right at the50% mark of the shank.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 1:13 am 

Dave, I don't know if you were referring to me or someone else, but when I mentioned beads on these to Gartside, the exact quote was, "If I wanted to tied a F***ing jig, I would have tied a F***ing jig. That fly won't fish right with weight."

I still tie them with beads, and treasure the memory. :lol:

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 7:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Good time was had by all! Yankee swap gift PROUDLY displayed!

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 7:57 am 

Thank you Dave - I can see the green & black flies killing the bass - they'll like the white ones too - they resemble my alewife flies which work very well on stripers - and I KNOW the pike are going to be all over those Mickeys! Tight Lines!

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 12:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

It was a very enjoyable get together. Great to put more faces and names together and to see familiar ones once again. A very congenial venue with some excellent brews to boot. Should be on everyones list as a go to. The yankee swap items weren't anything to sneeze at also.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 2:29 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Great to see everyone. Wish I had gotten there sooner, but duck missing is a powerful drug....