FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 19th, 2019, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 10th, 2018, 1:13 pm 
FFIMer

I turned 40 this weekend and my wife surpised me with a package deal for the 3rd week in June up to Libby Camps. She has seen all the packing and crazy things I do on my own and thought I deserved a bit more of a pampered trip for once and for that I am greatful.

I have fished a lot of Maine waters but nothing in this area. Anyone here have experience staying at their base on the lake? Or is anyone willing to offer up some intel on places to fish in that area for that time of year? I prefer flyfishing of course and and moving water over stillwaters, but I would be up for some remote pond stuff too.

Should I just rely on the intel I get from the folks that run the place when get there? Or should I consider booking a remote fly in? Or hiring a guide? I used to guide myself but nothing in this area and I will only be there a short time so I would rather hire a guide than drive 6 hours each way to just cast blindly into fishless water since I am sure there are folks that guide through Libby Camps that I could hire for a fair price and at the same time support local people.

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2018, 5:38 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I don’t have intel on the fishing but know Matt and his team there are very good at what they do! Take a float plane trip with them.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 1:09 am 

What Ken said. Take their advice. Take a float plane trip if it's in the budget--and get it in the budget if you can. Consider one of their outpost camps if you want solitude and don't mind cooking for yourself. Some are fly in only.

At the camps themselves, Millinocket Lake does not support a great fishery, but the outlet stream can be very good especially in the evening. Plenty of good pond and stream fishing nearby. Late June can be getting a little warm on the shallower and lower elevation ponds, but a cool night or two will turn things back on. Morning and evening are best, as always.

A class operation in every way.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 8:52 am 
FFIMer

I have ONLY been to several of their remote camps, and that was over 25 years ago. I highly recommend a fly in with them. They felt like family and know their areas very well. I've always loved that feeling you get while standing on the dock and listening to the sound of the float plane—and your connection to civilization—recede into the distance.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2018, 9:26 am 
FFIMer

Nice wife. Mine did the same thing for me before our first child was born, because I was wasn't going anywhere after the birth. I've been going to Libby's for most of the last 19 years, both outpost cabins and the main lodge. Bottom line is you will have a great time. If a guide is in the budget, you will learn a lot about the area in a short period of time.

Definitely fish the inlet to Round Pond after dinner (it will be light out until 2145). I highly recommend taking a flyout to access some hard to get to fishing spots.

Send me a pm and I'll thoughts on places to fish depending on water level and temperature.

Have fun.

Skip