FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 2:08 am 

My old Patagonia waders were finally ready for replacement, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new pair. When they arrived, they were notably tighter than my last two pairs. I first thought I'd simply been sent the wrong size, but a check of the label that was not the the cause.

Then I thought perhaps I've just mis-remembered how the old ones fit, but the old ones fit just the same as they always did.

The new ones are smaller through the chest, tighter around the legs, and especially--the killer for me--tighter around the ankles. With my Sasquatch feet and my reconstructed right ankle, anything is tight around the ankle. The new versions from Patagonia barely went on, and I had a hell of time peeling them back off.

I called Patagonia and sent them back. An email exchange about whether sizing had changed said there had been no changes in "at least 5 years", so I called them to see if perhaps I'd just gotten a pair with the wrong label. But when I called them today, the clerk told me that although they haven't changed the "sizing", they have changed the "fit", and this made them smaller in all dimensions. I don't understand how that's different from changing their sizing, but perhaps that's because I am not in marketing.

Needless to say, this is not a good thing for those of us at the large end of the size range.

I wear a size 54 jacket, and spend enough time in waders in the cold seasons that I want to be able to fit several heavy layers under them. The biggest issue will be the fit in the ankles and lower legs.

Another option is a company that makes dry suits for diving and paddling, almost all of them customized, called USIA. They also make waders, but they are not breathable. Anybody have any experience with their products, either waders or dry suits? https://usia.com/tag/waders/

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 7:35 am 
FFIM-aholic

The same thing has happened to jeans... damn fashionistas.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 8:03 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff.....

I know they’ll be expensive, but Simms will make you a custom fit wader. Give them the dimensions you want.......specially your right ankle.......and they’ll make you a pair of G-3’s that will last you seven to ten years. Extrapolate that out and the expensive over regular off the rack waders doesn’t seem to hurt so bad. Your call, of course, but that is an option for you.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 8:37 am 
FFIM-aholic

I’m on my first pair of Patagonia waders and really like them so far-but The one thing I don’t like about them is the too-tight fit. They are actually my second pair, in that the first pair were too big, so the next size down was all that would work for me and they are exceedingly tight, like you said Jeff, particularly around the ankles. Not to the point of significant discomfort though.
But I’m happy with them otherwise. And while Patagonia has long been lauded for its stewardship policies, check out this latest article from Forbes. Just another reason, IMO, to buy Patagonia:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeu ... -tax-cuts/

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 9:49 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff,
I believe Foley spoke of getting a pair of custom made waders. Seek him out for info.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 12:53 pm 

Dave M: Do you mean truly custom waders? (That is what USIA will do--and they'll guarantee the fit.) What SIMMS has now is a custom shop that allows you to (1) order several larger sizes, up to WXL; (2) change bootie sizes up to size 17; and (3) make some modifications like adding the G4 suspender package to G3's.

I don't see a "send us your measurements" option, and have both talked and emails with SIMMS staff about options.

If I do order from the custom shop, I need to get it right, as they will not be returnable for fit. So, for you SIMMS folks, some questions:

(1) Is there anywhere in the wader that is noticeable loose or tight? Tight ankles? Saggy in the crotch? Etc.?
(2) In general do they run "true to size"--the SIMMS size chart is here https://www.simmsfishing.com/g3-guide-stockingfoot-s18?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsANfu58H4aRKY4tBVCBZKmiFwvGlz6yiLKIzPIlpzPZUOQFYI4LZZ9LBQWAsaAvgLEALw_wcB#size-chart-anchor--vs large or small? For example, I would say my old Patagonia waders were true to size. I wear size 54 jacket, and their XXLKings, which say they fit chest sizes up to 54", gave me enough room for as many layers as I wanted down to the day Tim Soule and duck hunting in a blizzard at 6 degrees F. The new ones in the same size are snug with a T shirt.
(3) It looks to me like the G3's are roughly equivalent to my old Patagonia's in terms of number of layers, toughness, etc. G4's are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. What are the advantages? Are the G4 suspenders enough of an improvement to pony up $50 to add them to the G3's? Does the extras layer of fabric make a big difference in durability?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 1:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

I think the Simms chart is pretty good. I find I like a wader that has 4 to 6 extra inches at the waist/top so that I can fit a few layers, plus have room to stash an extra flybox or two. I use a wading belt, so the torso area ends up being an extra storage space often. As far as inseam- I recommend going with something a few inches larger than your measured inseam to allow some room for movement after the water presses the material against you. You can thank me later.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 2:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff.....

I can’t answer all of your questions.....But I’d bet that a Simms Rep could.

I like my waders loose.........so I order 5he large king........and I can fit as many jackets as practicable inside the waders with no problems.

I wear my wadersa lot during the year, and never felt the need to go to theG-4 Pros or the G-4 Zips. The G-3’s are fine.....
.at a savings of give/take $300.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 6:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff,
The last 2 pair of Simms I have purchased were smaller than my first pair. They are all labeled the same. They called them “more fitted” or some other fancy term. Tighter in the chest and calves. About the only advantage I found was they are more hydro dynamic in the water. Although yesterday that didn’t seem to help. I know one downfall is that mine are tight in my calves, making them tough to get out of when damp. My first pair are probably between 10-15 years old and the other pairs were bought during the Didymo years. One pair for Maine only and one pair for Ct.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 7:45 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Are you guys sure it's the waders that got smaller?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 9:58 pm 

Had mine side by side Ken--and they definitely got smaller.

If Dave M needs Large King, I think I might need 6XL!

Talked to the Simms rep, and they are supposed to be sending me actual calf and ankle dimensions. Sounds like either the 3XLs or 4XLs will be roomy enough in the chest.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 10:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff,

Check this out. customfitwaders.com

Ron

FOLEY tested Lab 2018

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 10:44 pm 
FFIM Addict

I had a pair of Simms years ago and hated them because of the tight fit. It was hell getting them off especially at the ankles and feet. Sold them after the first year and went back to Orvis. Great fit.

This year the Orvis pair gave up the ghost, declared officially DOA by Orvis Wader Quality Control. At 74 now and looking into the future it did not seem practical to invest in a pair of full length waders, I simply don't wade that much now and I don't get much above by knees anyway. So bought a pair of wader pants, no worries about chest size or wearing jackets.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 7:04 am 
FFIMer

Jeff I found the chest to be tighter than I would prefer on my G3's. And the belt loops were to low and not enough of them. I bought a back saver wading belt from them at Dave M's suggestion. Other than that they were fine.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2018, 7:37 am 
FFIM-aholic

Interesting. I found the belt loops on my new G3’s were too low. Again... I chalked it up to the fashionistas trying to bring hip huggers back.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau