FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What’s your favorite Caddis fly?
Poll ended at December 3rd, 2018, 9:55 am
Elk Hair Caddis 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Nelson’s Caddis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
X-Caddis 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
X-2Caddis 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Emergent Sparkle Caddis 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Cutters Emergent/Cripple Caddis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CDC Caddis 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Other 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: Caddis Poll
PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 11:30 am 
FFIM-aholic

does the 45 degree point mean that the wing is halfway between upright and down? Or that instead of 180 degrees around, it is must more narrow like a parachute post vs. a comparadun?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 11:54 am 
FFIM Addict

Sloped back and down similar to elk on elk hair Caddis.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 12:33 pm 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF,
Parachute post like only not "posted and gathered" like a Parachute Post. Rather the wing is allowed to spread some. The wing isn't manually forced to "fan" a full 180-degrees like a Comparadun. If you held the finished fly in front of you and looked at it with the eye pointing at you the wing should be a vertical 45-degree post - looking like a V rather than a narrow post.

Here's a picture of one tied by Fran Betters taken from his book. Look close at the base of the wing and you'll see the wing fibers haven't been pulled down to the same level as the shank. All of them point up - some straight up - some not so much but none have been pulled flat and even with the shank.

1-weight, I haven't tried leaning the wing back. Might help when swinging it as the wing would fold back even easier than it does. I believe the wing folding back when the fly is underwater and swinging looks like a wingcase or the famous "gas bubble" that brings Caddis Pupa to the top.

EDITED to add: note the short tail - half shank length or less according to the photo.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 12:56 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Just for grins here's a picture of the whole Usual page out of Fran Betters "Fly Fishing - Fly Tying and Pattern Guide"

Don't know if you'll be able to read the print but if you can't and want to read it message me and I'll send you a bigger picture.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 1:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

Not sure what fly I was thinking about. My previous post should be ignored. I obviously don’t have any idea what I’m talking about today.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 2:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Really interesting on the Bill Phillips/Fran Betters Usual. I don’t generally think of that fly (a GREAT fly, btw) as a Caddis. I always use it as a generic emerger.......or as a Sulphur Mayfly imitation. It *does* seem to work,interestingly enough, when everything else I’ve tried didn’t, for whatever reason.

Dave M

PS: I believe I first heard of this pattern in the early 70’s in a Flyfisherman Magazine article.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Interesting in wouldn’t have thought Of that profile for a caddis. I have however had good luck with some early comparaduns they had a wing more like this.

Maybe I need to buckle and buy a hares foot... I am sure I will need a dozen in 3 colors and two sizes.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 9:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

"I am sure I will need a dozen in 3 colors and two sizes."
Natural tied sparce will allow the thread color to show through. Eliminates having to purchase too many colors.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 10:30 am 
FFIM Addict

Hunter wrote:
Galloup's Found Link is another great variation of Mercer's Missing Link. It doesn't twist as much.

Thanks. I just watched that video. I tied up a bunch of Mercer’s Missing Link flies after reading about them in Flyfisherman Magazine last winter. Mercer calls that his #1 pattern. Hmmnnnn.......not so much for me. I fished that pattern fairly extensively last summer.........and caught ZERO trout on it. Not a freaking one. All those went into the “never to be seen, or fished, again box.”

Dave M

PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 3:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Dave M wrote:
Hunter wrote:
Galloup's Found Link is another great variation of Mercer's Missing Link. It doesn't twist as much.

Thanks. I just watched that video. I tied up a bunch of Mercer’s Missing Link flies after reading about them in Flyfisherman Magazine last winter. Mercer calls that his #1 pattern. Hmmnnnn.......not so much for me. I fished that pattern fairly extensively last summer.........and caught ZERO trout on it. Not a freaking one. All those went into the “never to be seen, or fished, again box.”

Dave M

Dave- That fly was my go-to in 2017- I fished it from the end of May until the end of September and did very well on it. This year, it was much more sporadically successful, but still solid. Also, remember, any fly that is in the $1.00 at Bean's is a good one.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 4:30 pm 
FFIMer

Not to be contrary, but I use the Usual as a Mayfly pattern. I have found much success with it in moving water, especially in and around the Big Eddy. I tie variations with orange, chartuse, and black thread. The green seems to work best, but its such an easy tie, why not try something different.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 11:36 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks for posting the SBS, I think I need to find a hares foot. I know they are supposed to be snow shoes hares... but the two cotton tails that mowed my garden, and eluded the local coyotes, may serve as proxies.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 11:02 am 
FFIM Addict

"but the two cotton tails that mowed my garden" I think the price of a hares foot from a tying supply house would be less expensive than a visit from a warden. Cottontails are protected in Maine. But YMMV

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 3:50 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Fortunately in this case, unfortunately in most others, I am a Mass-hole now. open season on cottontales from Oct to Feb... which is good... France taught me to enjoy a nice rabbit stew.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2018, 8:34 am 
FFIMer

Klinkhammer style parachute.