FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What’s your favorite Caddis fly?
Poll ended at December 3rd, 2018, 9:55 am
Elk Hair Caddis 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Nelson’s Caddis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
X-Caddis 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
X-2Caddis 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Emergent Sparkle Caddis 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Cutters Emergent/Cripple Caddis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CDC Caddis 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Other 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Caddis Poll
PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 9:55 am 
FFIM Addict

Poll above

Post subject: Re: Caddis Poll
PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 11:29 am 
FFIM Addict

This poll begs the question- as it's been a while since we've done such around here- but how about a caddis fly swap? I think everyone here could use a few more caddis in their flyboxes, and possibly maybe even find a new pattern or two as a result.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 11:37 am 
FFIM Addict

Hunter wrote:
This poll begs the question- as it's been a while since we've done such around here- but how about a caddis fly swap? I think everyone here could use a few more caddis in their flyboxes, and possibly maybe even find a new pattern or two as a result.

I’m in. You running it?

Ralph Cutter’s Emergent Cripple Caddis for me if we can get it done.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 11:39 am 
FFIM Addict

BTW............If you vote “ other” You May want to delineate in the comments what “other” your vote means.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 12:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M wrote:
Hunter wrote:

I’m in. You running it?

Ralph Cutter’s Emergent Cripple Caddis for me if we can get it done.

Dave M

I can do that. Let's see if we can drum up some interest at the FFIM Festivus Party and I'll get a post up after.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 12:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

missing link.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 1:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

Galloup's Found Link is another great variation of Mercer's Missing Link. It doesn't twist as much.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 2:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

I voted other. I fish either a peacock caddis or a foam bodied (puterbaugh) caddis the most, which are both really just variants on a traditional EHC. But that's because I'm usually just searching and fishing double dry or dry dropper with the foam caddis. So it's important it doesn't sink. And I like the X-caddis, too.

But I think my favorite caddis fly these days is called a spent partridge caddis (I didn't know what it was called). I see a lot of different variations, but the ones I have in my box look pretty close this one:
https://www.henrysforkanglers.com/store ... dge-caddis

This probably reflects the time of day I love to fish: When the sun is going down and fish are coming up. That fly just works under those conditions. I don't think I've ever fished one in Maine, but I bet one would work well on the WB.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 2:49 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter,
Count me in on a caddis swap!

See you at the Festivus,

Peter

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 3:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M wrote:
BTW............If you vote “ other” You May want to delineate in the comments what “other” your vote means.

Dave M

The Prayer of course.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 7:28 pm 

My "other" is a peacock body, deer hair caddis - if you can't save money tying that fly, you're doing something very wrong...

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 8:19 am 
FFIM Addict

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Usual, yet.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 9:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter,
I almost clicked other and listed the Usual. But - after I thought about it a bit I decided the Usual isn't my favorite Caddis pattern it's my favorite pattern period.

I use it for Mayfly Duns, Mayfly Emergers, Mayfly spend Spinners, Caddis Adults and Caddis Pupa. I dead drift it on the surface, let it drag and pull it under to swing as a wet. And, just for general search and destroy missions it's the fly I go searching with.

So, maybe someone else will list it as their favorite Caddis pattern but I guess if I narrow it down to Caddis Imitations the Elk Hair wins. I've sure caught a lot of fish on Elk Hair Caddis.

Although, Dryflies mention of the Prayer reminds me I've caught a lot of fish on that Caddis imitation as well.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 9:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

The usual for a caddis? Does it have a tail and upright wing? Those are two things that say “mayfly” to me more than a caddis.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 10:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF,
Those things normally mean Caddis to me also. However, Fran Betters' instruction for tying the Usual call for the upright wing to be mounted differently from a Haystack or Comparadun wing. Instead of splaying the wing 180-degrees over the top of the shank you only spread the wing to a 45-degree wedge. Here's quote from his book:

"NOTE: Fly is tied in the same manner as the Haystack pattern but the hair is not splayed out into a 180 degree fan as is the Haystack pattern. The hair should remain in about a 45 degree wedge to show a smaller silhouette on the water. This slighter angle will also allow the hair to fold back and pulsate or breath as it is moved through the water."

Another thing to note is that properly tied Usual patterns have a short tail. Half the shank length rather than full shank length - more like a tailing shuck than a tail? - not sure.

Another quote from his book referencing Bill Phillips who coined the name for the fly goes like this:

"In summary, what you have in one pattern is a dry fly with translucency and iridescence - spinner, dun, midge, caddis or terrestrial; a wet fly or nymph and an emerging nymph or caddis case. In short, it is one pattern that can be used effectively in almost any situation when used with these tactics in the right size and body color. A truly versatile fly - The Usual."

So - while I agree with you about upright wings and tails normally saying mayfly I catch a lot of fish on the Usual when all the activity is Caddis.