FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 3:55 pm 
FFIMer

A neighbor of mine happened across a Phillipson Pacemaker "51". It is the dry fly special bamboo 3 piece. I think he has a spare tip, but it is 6" shorter than the other tip. He has the sash and tube, although he is missing the cap to the tube. The sash and tube appear to be original. Condition of the rod looks pretty good to me, but hey, what do I know, I am a graphite guy! He is curious about the history and value. We were able to do some searching on the web. Curious to know the FFIM perspective on the rod.

Enjoy the photos. Thanks, ZG <*(((-<

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 5:44 pm 
FFIMer

Hi . I'm no expert but here is what I know about your Phillipson rod. With cane, usually the shorter the better. For fishibility, 8' and under in length is a little more desirable. Shorter rod means less weight. Lighter weight makes for a more pleasant day casting. At 8.5 feet you are a little long. You have a short tip. No doubt broken and repaired sometime in its life. Phillipison is a nice cane rod but not one of the "Big Boys". It was factory made and put out in pretty good numbers. Many rods sporting the "Beans LL" marking were Phillipson cane rods. It is nothing serious but it would be better if your rod tube had it's end cap. The good news is the finish looks pretty good. The wraps look pretty good. A "HDH" rod indicated it is about a 6 weight. That's nice for fishability. I think "Pacemaker" was a mid range quality rod for Phillipson. You do have the original tube and bag and if you watch on ebay you can probably find a replacement end cap. It's tough to say without having the rod in my hand but I would say it has a value of around $200.- $250. if it has no structural surprises. Find a reel that balances it, load it with a 6 wt and go fishing!
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 8:40 pm 
FFIMer

The Phillipson rod company was started by Bill Phillipson--one of the principle makers at Granger. Like Granger, they were a Colorado company. Phillipsons are highly regarded "blue collar cane"--generally put in a class with Granger and the better Heddons. The Dry Fly Special was a slightly faster action version of their taper, well-suited to bigger water, windy conditions, and a six weight DT line. It would fish tremendously on the East Outlet or the West Branch. The Pacemaker was one of the entry level models, which just meant the hardware and finish were not as nice--the bamboo and taper would be the same in all grades. I would get someone who knows bamboo to give it a good once over before fishing it--I bet that varnish could use some touch up and you'll want to check the ferrules. (Later Phillipsons were impregnated). The short tip is surely the result of a break. That will decrease the value a bit. And six inches is likely enough to effect the timing and feel of casting with that tip, but maybe not enough to make it unpleasant.

If the rod is to be fished, make sure to use a relatively heavy reel on it. Bamboo, especially at that length, is heavier than graphite, and the rod will be much more comfortable to cast and fish over a long day with a reel that at least somewhat compensates for the heavier feel in hand.

That's a nice rod your neighbor has there. It's not going to be worth a fortune, but it's a very good fishing rod.

If you go to the Classic Fly Rod Forum and post a friendly inquiry with your pics, you can find out a ton of info and get a very realistic value assessment.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 12:24 am 
FFIM Addict

The length description is interesting... 8 1/2 - 5 1/2. Could be that when it was built one tip was 1/2 in short?? Check with the guys at Classic Rod Forum, they'll have more info.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 7:41 am 
FFIMer

The rod stamping "8 1/2 ' 5 1/2 Could the 5 1/2 be the rods weight? It stands to reason that a 5.5 oz rod would take a 6 wt line.
It's hard to tell from the pix but the end cap on the reel seat looks funny. Perhaps a replacement? Not to dump on your rod but realistically it is a lower end production rod in a longer length with a short tip. It is a great, inexpensive, starter rod for someone who wants to experiment with fishing cane. Fish with it .Get the feel and start working your way up the cane rod food chain.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 8:06 am 
FFIMer

Thank you for the insight. I suspect it has significant sentimental value and he is interested in fishing with it. I plan to give him details on the Super Boo event, should there be another one. If not, he will have to connect with a local Bamboo resource to evaluate before he fishes..

Thanks,

- ZG -

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 9:04 am 
FFIMer

5 1/2 is the weight in ounces.

The "51" refers to 1951 (I think the year the company was founded). If I remember correctly, the earlier rods were marked that way.

Not to argue with Hatch, but a Phillipson is not a "lower end production rod." It is/was a high quality production rod. It is a better rod--and will cast/fish better--than the true low end production rods made by Montague, H/I, most South Bends, etc.

One thing Bill Phillipson didn't care that much about was accessory aesthetics. That green reel seat is likely original.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 9:08 am 
FFIMer

By the way, "production rod" just means a rod that was made by workers in a factory (really a smallish workshop), rather than a rod made by a single craftsperson. Most bamboo fly rods were production rods--including highly regarded ones made by Orvis, Granger, Heddon, Phillipson, etc.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 9:45 am 
FFIM Addict

DaveS wrote:
5 1/2 is the weight in ounces.

The "51" refers to 1951 (I think the year the company was founded). If I remember correctly, the earlier rods were marked that way.

Thanks for the clarification of the markings.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 9:48 am 
FFIMer

Hi DaveS I called this rod a lower end production rod to differentiate it from what I consider the higher end production rods ie. F.E.Thomas, Leonard, Edwards, Orvis. I agree with you there are some very nice production made rods. I also put Phillipson ahead of H+I, South Bend, Union Hardware, and a few others. There are H+I, South Bend and Union Hardware people who would jump all over me for saying it. It's a loyalty to a brand thing. (Ford or Chevy?)
Just wondering DaveS, Going from the pictures and description, What value would you put on this rod? Money talks.

By the way I own a 9' Phillipson rod. I think I paid $200. for it and it's worth every penny. If I sell it in 10 years I'll probably get my $200. back. :D

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 10:59 am 
FFIMer

Let's call it a mid-range production rod. :D

I don't have enough knowledge of the market to put a value on it. If it was in excellent condition with both tips full length I'd guess $350-$450. In this condition maybe $225-$300?

I do know the Phillipson tapers are very good. They are very close to the highly regarded Grangers (which makes sense since Phillipson came from Granger).

If you google "Bury Me With My Phillipson Bamboo Fly Rods" you can find an entertaining read from a true Phillipson fan.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 11:44 am 
FFIM-aholic

Definitely a SuperBoo this coming February 9th.

No worries.

Kat

PostPosted: November 24th, 2018, 5:48 pm 
FFIMer

Zero Gravity to test the rods casting worthiness isnt tough and you don't need an expert.

#1. check the ferule fit. (The joints where the rod is put together) If they are tight and do not seat fully try some rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. No sand paper or steel wool. Don't force them together or you could have the issue of not being able to get them apart.

If they fit loosely put a little bees wax on the male slide. ( can get it at any sewing store.)

#2. With the rod assembled false cast it listening for any clicking sound or feeling for same. If so your ferules are loose to the cane. The rod needs a professional repair. Personally, I wouldn't spend much money on this rod.

#3. Examine the rod looking for any delamination of the cane.Your rod is made of 5 strips of bamboo glued together side by side. Are they coming apart anywhere? Do you see any other problems that may make you think there is a weakness in the rod?

#4. If every thing looks and feels fine go fishing!

Hey DaveS, $350-$450. If it is in excellent condition. Perhaps, But this rod has issues. If you look at the wraps in the pix it looks like the short tip is short at the ferule end. The pix do not show this. The wraps on the tip top, first guide and second guide seem to line up It would be better if it were broken at the tip end. For some this would be considered a one tip rod. Condition is key in cane rod value. Maker ,condition, length.

Phillipson rods sold on ebay-

8.5 "Peerless" excellent condition $405.
8.5 "Paragon" good shape $301.73
8.5 "Premium" some repair $243.
8.5 "Pacemaker" one tip $146.55

If you want more details on these rods you can do a search on rods sold on Ebay.