FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 4:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

The never ending - how much room is enough - question.

Here's my latest stab at it. I went out and purchased a couple dozen Sterilite see-thru tubs, a bunch of plastic bags - various sizes - and started sorting and sizing my material.

Once I got it sorted and bagged I put all the bags in bins. What was boxes and piles and piles and boxes scattered all over has become labeled (handwritten but all in good time) Sterilite bins with easy to remove and repack plastic pouches stacked floor to ceiling. Everything I need for most of my tying is right at hand.

Not counting my bookshelves and a sorting table I fit it all in a closet. 2 1/2 feet by 6 feet.

Check it out - I made a short video short video after using it for the last couple of weeks.

https://youtu.be/dmeLrQ1oDIs

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 5:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

Mike,

You’re a helluva lot more organized than I am. I only wish I could be that organized. I need an entire room, and that’s still not enough room.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 6:59 pm 
FFIM-aholic

The fact that you can just “close the door” would make my other half overjoyed.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 7:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

My closet is 10 X 14. Got a woodstove in it, TV, couch. lots of those neat plastic bins as well. When I'm finished I just close the door.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 8:45 am 
FFIMer

I've got those bins, plus a few cardboard boxes, scattered all over our living room, spare bedroom, and around my tying desk. My wife absolutely hates it, but we don't have a room or even a space for me to store all my tying(and fishing, and hunting) stuff, so it ends up all over the house. I just ordered a large (4' tall, 2' wide) organizer on wheels to help consolidate everything, I may need to order a second one to fit everything.

Peter

PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 11:35 pm 

Greg Ponte has an entire addition on his house. As far as I can tell, it is entirely devoted to fly tying, except for a small desk in one corner where his saint of a wife, Donna, makes jewelry.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff, I'm familiar with Greg's happy inclination to gather fly tying material. I suffered from it so badly that I ended up having to open a shop when the inventory outgrew my house.

This is my attempt to go the other way. Still working out OK but it makes me clean up after almost every pattern change. That's a little hard to get used to. I have to admit it's a good habit to encourage. My brother always says "It's easy to develop a habit. The hard part is getting rid of one, so work on starting good ones."

One good thing about having all my Flashabou colors in one bag and all my Swiss Straw in another and all my stick on eyes in yet another bag and those bags in a labeled bin is I'm amazed at how little time I'm spending looking for material. But I'll probably never save as much time as I spent doing the sorting and labeling. :)