FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 9th, 2018, 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great video
PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 7:57 am 
FFIMer

This is the kind of video that makes me wish I never left NZ. If you’re ever considering going it’s worth knowing that this kind of fishing is accessible and can be done at a reasonable price. These guys make great videos.

https://youtu.be/yBcyZh0nti8

Post subject: Re: Great video
PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 8:10 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks for posting! A friend of mine is in the process of becoming a landowner there, in Ohakune, which gives me a reason to visit and a place to crash. Know anything about the area?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 9:40 am 
FFIM-aholic

OOOHHHHH - the bucket list! I was talking to someone about NZ just yesterday; surfing, fishing, skiing - what's NOT to love!?!? Not that I'm going any time soon but, what time of year are we talking about. Definitely need 2 weeks and there's no way on earth I'm getting there without my better 7/8ths - need some hiking mixed in with the fishing and (hopefully) surf.

Thanks for stoking the fire on an EARLY winter day!

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 9:57 am 
FFIM-aholic

Yes, NZ definatley has a lot going for it. Smart of them to slow down foreign investment and ownership. This post immediately got me texting my buddy to check on the transaction. Ski, and fish... nearly perfect, with the small exception of their pronunciation of the word “deck” but no one is perfect.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6c4Nupnu ... e=youtu.be

Despite plenty of FF Miles, there is also no chance that i’ll Make it to NZ in the next 15 years without the clan in tow.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 10:17 am 
FFIM Addict

NZ is on the bucket list, right after steelheading in BC, fishing the Pacific Northwest in Oregon, fishing Tongas, and... well- the fishing trip wishlist is LONG.

But all of those trips are on hold for 2019, as my wife and I are heading to the Serengeti in October- and that is going to put a serious dent in the vacation time. Now to figure out an affordable camera setup so that I can bore people with a million photos of wild animals running amok in a vast grassland wilderness.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 5:12 pm 
FFIMer

Ohakune is really well positioned. Skiing is right there and the fishing is top notch. We took 5 weeks one year around christmas and did a air bnb-style trip through the north and south islands and stayed on a farm near ohakune. The Manganuioteao is one of the most entertaining rivers I've ever fished, see the link below.

https://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/Taranaki/TNKFishingWaters/TNKManganuioteao.htm

The Rangitikei River is also very near and is miles of wilderness fishing

https://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/Wellington/WGTNFishingWaters/WGTNRangitikei.htm

I could go on forever, let me know if the trip starts to materialize and I'd be happy to share what I know.

Craig, NZ is made for a hiking/fishing trip. The best fishing is best accessed by using NZ's hiking trail system going from hut to hut. Here's an example

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/kahurangi-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/leslie-karamea-track/

PostPosted: November 20th, 2018, 7:22 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Wow, thanks for sharing Matt. Fishing Yellowstone the last three years has renewed my love for exploring new waters and would love to explore New Zealand someday.

Ken

PostPosted: November 21st, 2018, 9:16 am 
FFIM-aholic

The hut to hut thing sounds fantastic! I have to figure out how to pull this off some day, the key is going to be to do it before I'm too old and feeble!!

Marley wrote:
Ohakune is really well positioned. Skiing is right there and the fishing is top notch. We took 5 weeks one year around christmas and did a air bnb-style trip through the north and south islands and stayed on a farm near ohakune. The Manganuioteao is one of the most entertaining rivers I've ever fished, see the link below.

https://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/Taranaki/TNKFishingWaters/TNKManganuioteao.htm

The Rangitikei River is also very near and is miles of wilderness fishing

https://www.nzfishing.com/FishingWaters/Wellington/WGTNFishingWaters/WGTNRangitikei.htm

I could go on forever, let me know if the trip starts to materialize and I'd be happy to share what I know.

Craig, NZ is made for a hiking/fishing trip. The best fishing is best accessed by using NZ's hiking trail system going from hut to hut. Here's an example

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/kahurangi-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/leslie-karamea-track/

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2018, 11:50 am 
FFIM Addict

Salmo,
"there's no way on earth I'm getting there without my better 7/8ths -"
Ken must have enough Frequent Flyer miles squirreled away...

Happy Holidays

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2018, 2:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Free flight to NZ without wife likely results in parting ways with half of his assets and whatever else her lawyer wants to take. :).

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 9:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

Too funny! If it wasn't such a bucket list trip, I may be able to get away with it. Half way around the world to a destination we would both love to visit would likely result in the scenario that TGIF describes. She is SUPER tolerant of my shenanigans and more than deserves to be there for something like this! With our son heading to Salt Lake, likely not to return anytime soon, I see trips to that neck of the woods in our future. I can think of worse destinations!

1weight wrote:
Salmo,
"there's no way on earth I'm getting there without my better 7/8ths -"
Ken must have enough Frequent Flyer miles squirreled away...

Happy Holidays

Ron

PostPosted: November 27th, 2018, 10:44 pm 

That was a great video, Matt - thanks for sharing! On Saturday my son moved into a cabin tent on the beach at Raglan (North Island, west coast) for the next month - now here's the real tragedy: he prolly won't take a single cast the whole time he's there...I might have to pay the boy a visit!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2018, 7:38 am 
FFIMer

Brian, Raglan is prime surf territory if I remember correctly. Good for him. Lots of female kiwi talent there as well.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2018, 1:56 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Marley wrote:
Brian, Raglan is prime surf territory if I remember correctly. Good for him. Lots of female kiwi talent there as well.

I'd give Ken B's left n#T to go to Raglan. Saw it in a surf movie probably 40 years ago - so beautiful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbsyUritIk