FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Closer
PostPosted: November 13th, 2018, 3:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

As for the last 5 years, a group of us head to a storied river in the shadow of a great lake to fish for fall salmon and wild(ish) brook trout. Typically, it is cold- even brutally so. But, with a warm lodge close by, and a low running river, we can be safe wading and happy casting-even is ice is in the guides.

This year, we all arrived at various times Friday- with the younger men getting onto the water by 10am. We older (read- working) people did not arrive until near dark or even later. The highlight of Friday was the food....which is what happens when 4 of the men with us consider themselves near chefs. Gussa made pizzas that have never been considered before- shrimp/ scallop pizza, Partridge and mushroom/onion pizza, chicken and ...pizza---a RUBEN pizza! All killer good. There were cheeses and sausages...pickles and smoked salmon...small drinks of various local types (whiskey and maple syrup for one) and even some Protestant booze.

we were also once again multi-national, broad spectrum political and socially adept. Of the 16 beds, we filled 10. And , for the 3 year running, we lost power at night- this year setting a record by losing power Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights running. But the power always came back mid-morning, and either way, the wood stove kept us warm and happy.

The fishing Saturday was decent for the early risers who all seemed to want to stand in each other's shadow- in one run. On the other hand, the elders waited until the sun was well up (though cloudy) and hit the much less fished areas. There were fish to be had, but to be honest- the shadow standers did best over near captive fish. The group of college age men were basically running all over the sand- with all that entails- but were enjoying the fight of often foul hooked salmon. By dusk, the river was mostly ours and I found fish in water I had never fished before- and ended on a nice colorful trout. Back to camp for MORE FOOD!!!

Sunday we fished in bright sun, and wicked wind with temps in the 20s. I was always warm-all weekend. Today we benefit from tech clothing, and the Beans windproof sweater I have is incredible (though it IS deer colored-which added a little paranoia to fishing). Even in 17 degree Monday morning, I was warm.

Sunday was the day Gussa solved the problem of where and what. As a immoral counter of fish caught (which I am also) he landed 9 fish in 9 casts..and a total of near 2 dozen before he was worried the man in Orange on the other side of the river would cut Gussa's throat. When asked, Gussa did tell them what was working, but they did not have any, and were too far away to give some too (other side of river).

By Monday morning, we were down to 3 of us- with most having to work on Monday (left after another killer dinner Sunday night)...the Doctor hit the water in pre-dawn colors..and found fish- even in 13 degree temps (we smarter people waited until the heat hit and 17 degrees was reached). AT 9 am, we went to "the spot" and landed our closers- all fine fish, and all on the same rod/fly.

Were I retired, I would have stayed. I don't care about the cold/wind/snow...when the fishing can be epic, one should go....but SHE who must be obeyed expects me to actually keep my job, so we came home.

Great trip- great people- and a welcome lodge. Looking forward to next year.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: The Closer
PostPosted: November 13th, 2018, 9:35 pm 
FFIMer

What he said!
Home made Bread Pudding, French Vanilla ice cream, and Maple syrup- enough said!
Food good, friends great, and some new fishers in the making.
People think we're crazy to fish in that weather, but in all honesty, it's the best fishing of my year in this state.

Gussa

Post subject: Re: The Closer
PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 6:53 am 
FFIMer

Sounds like a great time, sounds like the fishing is a perk.