FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 9th, 2018, 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stonefly Nymph
PostPosted: November 12th, 2018, 3:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Shhhsh! Darn it Hunter... don’t you know how many people read this site? :D

11. :|

TGIF wrote:
In all seriousness... hunter, do you see the size of the stones correlating to size of river. Some of my big brawling favorites have stones that with antennas and tails nearly span my palm. Smaller rivers get down into that #12 range. But this is just from my experience.

Stoneflies tend to run as described in my experience, but larger waters have more hellgramites- which are quite a bit larger.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2018, 9:06 pm 
FFIMer

Image Here is The Spring Special. Now this is simple! As for it's effectiveness...Do you really want me being the only one on the river with some?? Thinking not!! Size 10. Gold or copper bead. Brown thread, Brown Goose biot, brown larvae lace, brown hackle ( Furnace or coachman brown ) It's made a believer out of me. Let it do the same for you! I gave up on the Kaufmann!

Last edited by Ian on November 20th, 2018, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2018, 1:34 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Got around to tying a few and popped off a pic or two. These are nothing special, tied in mass to fish, but they are my closers.

For reference, top is #6 on a jig, next is #10 on a jig, next two are size 14. The ones that are not biota are basically just pheasant tails tied with Cinamon Turkey... they have a flash back under the fabric fusion wing case.

Here is where they live. Sorry I didn’t tidy up... yet...
Lots of Black and gold left over...

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 18th, 2018, 5:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

2 things- Most of the floating stones I see have a tan wing case on the top, and they float head UP (as LaFontaine shows)...so a bead headed fly floats backwards. #2- YELLOW stones are killer.

Hutch

PostPosted: November 18th, 2018, 7:23 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I struggle with non beaded stones... given their flat/wide body they need some serious weight to get down. These have 20 wraps of .25 wire on the body, smallshed with pliers to create the flat wide body. With that and a bead, they still get fished with shot.

I can’t say I have ever seen a stone nymph drift, it seems to me a bead headed fly would be heads down on the drop, but then heads up on the drift?

I agree with yellow, when salmon are present...

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 8:14 am 
FFIM Addict

Gallop at Slide Inn has a good idea (that I don't use enough) about nymph rigs- and a youtube show about it. SImply put, he puts his split shot on LAST....so, smallest fly----18" bigger fly-----then a 12" piece of tippet with a knot at the last inch with the shot above the knot. He says that the shot will bounce off the bottom, and the fish are always looking level or UP, but almost never looking down. WIth his system, the stonefly would not need any weight (nor the first fly emerger).

I have used LaFontaine's floating stones to some effect- give them a look.

Hutch

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 10:58 am 
FFIM-aholic

I've tried the "heavy on the bottom" mostly while practicing my euro nymphing, though I'll say the casting REALLY needed some focus... lots of spring with all the weight at the bottom, and just acted different in the air... perhaps work trying.

Will look up the floater.