FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stonefly Nymph
PostPosted: November 10th, 2018, 11:46 am 
FFIM Addict

All........

Most of us fish freestone streams, and large Stone Nymphs are almost always on the menu for trout and Landlocks. As I was bit short on these after the season I headed down to the tying room and whipped up a half dozen. These aren’t difficult, but are certainly more time consuming than, say, a Jumbo John. It’s a takeoff on Randall Kaufman’s Kaufman Stone.....just my variation of it. As a half dozen took an hour....or about 10 minutes per.......they’re not a fly that one just whips up streamside.......well, at least for me. As always, ymmv. Enjoy if you decide to try them.

Black Upside Down Bead Head Rubber Legs Stone Nymph

Size 8. Tiemco 200r
Head:4mm Black Bead
Thread: Black 6/0 Uni (140denier)
Weight: .025 non toxic wire.....tied in doubled on the *top* of the hook shank.....you need it to ride hook inverted.
Tail: Black or Brown round rubber
Rib: Lagre black or brown v rib
Abdomen: Kaufman’s Black Stone dubbing
Thorax: Same as abdomen, but thicker
Legs: large brown or black rubber
Thorax Shell: Large Pearl saltwater flash a bou over turkey wing quill
Make sure you hit the turkey quill and flash abou with either Sally Hansens or Hard As Hull to make the flash pop

I really like using that Kaufman’s dubbing as nothing in nature is monochromatic, and the “black” Kaufman’s has fibers of black, red, blue, and yellow mixed in. That’s also why I like brown rubber for the tails and legs.

I’m usually not without at least a dozen of these, as even riding hook up you’ll lose a bunch of them most every trip. Tie up a dozen......or two. I seriously doubt you’d be disappointed.

Dave M

PS: Damn auto correct. I’ve had to edit this three times to get it to say what I want.....not what the auto correct thinks I want. :-(

Post subject: Re: Stonefly Nymph
PostPosted: November 10th, 2018, 6:19 pm 
FFIMer

Aint it great!!

PostPosted: November 10th, 2018, 11:25 pm 
FFIM-aholic

THAnks for the kick in the pants on Stonefly Nymphs... mine are a 2 hour dozen, which I jut wrapped up... I have always wanted a simple pattern, but they are my #1 top producer... hard to argue with that.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 9:24 am 
FFIM Addict

Tim......

The simplist Stonefly Nymph pattern that I’m aware of is a Pats Rubberlegs. Can’t get much simpler than that one.

The Kaufman’s variant that I tie is way more complicated, and frankly, I’m not sure it’s any more effective than that simple Pats Rubberlegs.......but it’s a lot more fun to tie, fwiw. You could probably tie up three dozen Pats Rubberlegs per hour.......so it’s a wonderful Guide Fly, but as I don’t guide I don’t worry about just tying for clients.......I tie to keep myself occupied all winter.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 9:27 am 
FFIM Addict

Super simple, Brooks Stone.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 9:33 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks guys, not to worry I have seen all the chenelle and rubber ones, but I am locked in on my Mercer boot epoxy stones. I catch most of my fish on them... and I also enjoy tying a lot... it just hurts when i lose 3 on 3 successive casts... c’est la vie... for the learners out there.... they don’t always need to be #6 streamer size, a #14 has been a secret weapon lately.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 10:34 am 
FFIM Addict

I just watched that video f 5he Mercer’s Poxyback Stone Nymph. It looks good.....BUT The way I lose Nymphs taking twentyeight minutes and 5hirty seconds per fly just wouldn’t work for me. I could lose an entire days worth of tying in a few casts.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 10:40 am 
FFIM Addict

Dave
I Assume the wing case is tied in facing the hook point. A rather simplistic question.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 10:44 am 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Dave
I Assume the wing case is tied in facing the hook point. A rather simplistic question.
Ron

Not the way itie it. Thewing case is tied in and down so it points at the hook eye. Just be careful as that TMC 200 is very sharp, and being upside down the hook point is up. Remember the fly is inverted, so the top of the Nymph is on the underside of the hook.

Dave M

PS: on a true Kaufman’s Stone Nymph there are three wing cases with a v notch in each......I don’t bother with that and just tie in one wing case

pSS: Wait......perhaps I misunderstood the question. Yes.....the wing case IS tied in facing the hook point, then pulled over abs toward the hook eye........if I understand the question correctly.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 3:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I take a few shortcuts on the Mercer’s stone, so they take me a solid 10-13 mins each, def not the 28 mins from YouTube... but still time consuming... most of my ties are 1-1.5 doz per hour.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 5:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF wrote:
Thanks guys, not to worry I have seen all the chenelle and rubber ones, but I am locked in on my Mercer boot epoxy stones. I catch most of my fish on them... and I also enjoy tying a lot... it just hurts when i lose 3 on 3 successive casts... c’est la vie... for the learners out there.... they don’t always need to be #6 streamer size, a #14 has been a secret weapon lately.

Let me just say this about TGIF's stones - you don't want to be fishing the pool AFTER he has gone through...…..

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm 

Need photos of these.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 8:51 pm 
FFIMer

I've had a lot of success the last 2 years with a very simple stone pattern I threw together after not really liking the tying process on any other stone... everything was way to time consuming or difficult for me to. I just took what I liked best of every pattern I looked at,

I use a Dia-Riki 700B, which is a bent shank hook, biots for tail and antenna, bead to match, I wrap .025 lead free back to the bend in the shank. Wire rib and lately I have been using opossum dubbing, really buggy, spikey and easy to add bulk without it looking unnaturally chunky. I like to use rubber legs, easy to tie in and extra movement, then a contrasting color UV Ice Dub for the throx. Pretty easy to crank out in 5 or 6 minutes

I had never really done much of anything on stones in years past, so gave up on them. Tried a few other patterns and just stumbled into this and it has worked for me, and has been my go to nymph in the early spring.

Peter

PostPosted: November 11th, 2018, 11:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:

You learn a few things while e-fishing. One is that a good portion of our stone flies are in the size 12 range. Few are larger, many are smaller. Curved hooks emulate how the cup when drifting.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2018, 7:58 am 
FFIM-aholic

Shhhsh! Darn it Hunter... don’t you know how many people read this site? :D

In all seriousness... hunter, do you see the size of the stones correlating to size of river. Some of my big brawling favorites have stones that with antennas and tails nearly span my palm. Smaller rivers get down into that #12 range. But this is just from my experience.

One other tip... 99% of what I see in shops are gold and black... 90% of what I see under rocks are brown.