FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fall/Winter Tie &Lie?
PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 2:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yes....deer season is on, so I’m guessing that would preclude a November Tie & Lie.......but it’s time to start thinking about a December one......no?

Dave M

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm 
FFIMer

I'm up for that. Maybe I can tie some sunken trikes and repay you for those that I borrowed last summer.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 6:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

November is one busy month...but I would really like to be at more tie and lies this coming winter. Keep it posted!

Hutch

PostPosted: November 6th, 2018, 11:44 am 
FFIM Addict

Seems to me there is something slightly weird about these official tie and lies I see posted here. For one thing the post talk about flies and materials and never actually mention a crucial ingredient, alcohol. Through the years I have organized a number of unofficial tie and lies for friends. We went to Jimmy Carter's place one winter, truly a unique experience, up to 1st Conn Lake in Pittsburg one year so friends from Maine, Vermont and NH could meet. Several others in Maine. I have to say that at all of these events many, many actual lies were told, alcohol consumed, but not one fly ever tied, ever.

I'm wondering if you guys understand the actual purpose of Tie and Lie meetings.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2018, 12:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

Well Al. ;-)

As we meet in a public building no alcohol can be legally consumed.........but good breakfasts are eaten beforehand........plenty of good flies are tied.......and, perhaps most importantly.......many good lies and so-called “tall tales” are spun. A good time had by all......even if light on the booze.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M wrote:
Well Al. ;-)

As we meet in a public building no alcohol can be legally consumed.........but good breakfasts are eaten beforehand........plenty of good flies are tied.......and, perhaps most importantly.......many good lies and so-called “tall tales” are spun. A good time had by all......even if light on the booze.

Dave M

You simply need better planning.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2018, 2:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Things are pretty busy at the town office today. I'll give them a day or so to get over some of the voting busy work and then I'll check the availability of the room we use for tie-and-lies.

I'll check available dates for the balance of this month and December. It gets busy at the Community Center in December - probably a good idea to book a date now. If I remember right we didn't do one last year in December for just that reason - too busy.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2018, 3:22 pm 
FFIMer

I've always enjoyed our sessions and am in for as many as I can make. I would also point out that Kennebec Valley TU sponsors a tying session every 1st and 3rd Wednesday evening at 6:30 at the Buker Center in Augusta. They have a lead tier who does two different flies per session. All materials are supplied and a 5 dollar donation pays for the room and materials. Its always a fun evening! First session is tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2018, 11:23 am 
FFIMer

Lane S wrote:
I've always enjoyed our sessions and am in for as many as I can make. I would also point out that Kennebec Valley TU sponsors a tying session every 1st and 3rd Wednesday evening at 6:30 at the Buker Center in Augusta. They have a lead tier who does two different flies per session. All materials are supplied and a 5 dollar donation pays for the room and materials. Its always a fun evening! First session is tomorrow evening.

Thank you, Lane, for this information...have not seen anything posted on the Kennebec Valley TU facebook page and did not realize the tying sessions had started again. It has been a lot of fun for the last two years, and I am looking forward to participating in the fly tying sessions again this year.