FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glad I went yesterday
PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 1:46 pm 
FFIM-aholic

It was spitting rain or snow at any given time but just to see the number of Blue Winged Olives on the water made toughing out the conditions a worthwhile effort. But yesterday was nothing compared to today - snow/sleet/rain and blowing. Better to be home.

Shawmut had few fish showing for the number of mayflies on the water.
all those little bumps you see are Blue Winged Olives. Blow up the picture and you'll see many more.

The road in was in good shape. Mike had recently mowed and clipped the trail. The White Rock was standing guard.

And there were trout. Mostly smaller. Saw one or two that looked BIG but by the time I sat up and cast they were gone or not taking. I did have some success - didn't see any fish in the wading area but sat up on several (spread out from below the Pasture Pool to the second power line). A lot of work for not many fish but - not a fishless day :)

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 4:03 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hi Mike!!!!! Nice to see this....

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 4:10 pm 
FFIMer

Way to go Mike
There was a small window yesterday :lol:
Unlike today
I know you come up from "down town" but did the new put in by the dam get finished?
Do not plan on floating any time soon but springs coming.

Sounds like you may have launched at the dam?

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 8:23 pm 
FFIM-aholic

K-FLY, I put in at the dam. Road in - parking area - the whole works as far as I could see is done in Shawmut. Nice job. I can't figure why the road slopes away from the rocked ditch and onto a grassed area but it does.

I prefer to put in at Shawmut and drift to the 2nd powerline/I-95 area and pole back to Shawmut rather than to put in in Fairfield and pole up to 95 and the 2nd power line. It's about a mile and a half pole upstream no matter which end you start.

Poling from the 2nd powerline back to Shawmut keeps me in better water for poling - not to mention fishing. I get to cover the Put-In to 2nd Powerline twice each trip.

46 degree water by the way. Going to get tougher real quick. Still nice steady rising trout when you can find one.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2018, 6:10 am 
FFIMer

Thanks
That is the way to go this time of year for sure. I have not been over to see the finished work on the road and landing. We usually float that stretch at least a couple times a season, Drop the boat in drive down to take out and take a 5 dollar taxi cab back up works out great . Unfortunately more bad weather ahead..Nor' Easter for sat. with wind and rain. Seems this fall is in a more normal pattern really have to pick your days because the end is coming on soon I am afraid