FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 20th, 2018, 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 2:54 pm 
FFIM Addict

So, I have been reading the great TRs from trips out west, and it popped into my head as I lived my wishes through others….what would I do if I could travel at this time of year instead of summer? I know I would go now having spoken to Parker (my brother who just spend 18 +/- days there) -to quote him from his last night, as he gave me the story of his “end on fish”- “...the best dry fly fishing day of my life.” yah- that is an endorsement.

Which made me wonder….why isn’t Dave M going in the fall? I know when I retire, I will be there in September. Less crowds, colder weather, and run up fish…

As for here in Maine, the EO has been my spot for the last 2 weekends, and it has been slow. As for GLS...well, I went this weekend. I came home early. The river is way down, and I fished saturday hard. I saw 4 other fishers...none landed fish except one elder man who go a bass. I landed a 10 inch salmon on a dry in the dam pool- which I had to myself most of the time. Then, when I got super worried I would get shut out for any worthy fish--a Barnes landed 2 fish over 22 inches. Easily the largest salmon for me all year, and both were super fat---and I bet they were a pair, as the male was clearly kyped out and nasty! If you catch him, he will have my Barnes in his jaw as I didn’t bring the net, and I lost him from my hand when I went for the phone camera.

I saw NO fish anywhere else in the river except right in front of camp---there were 4 fish there, all of which were better than I am. I expect the next week will show a major change.

Saw a buck on the front lawn between the chairs and the camp- he had 5doe w/ him. Also, a massive Bull Moose on the gas line off the Stud Mill today-hope he makes it.

Geese woke me this morning flying over camp...and at least 60 turkeys seen on ride home. To bad they weren’t P’tridge.

I will be at camp next weekend, but have low expectations, and am bringing my bird gun, as I think I may jumpshoot if the fishing stays off. Dam has opened left gate, and closed the 2 right ones, so current has reversed. Fishing from the dock is OUT!!!! For this fall, as the pipes are cutting off access, and the bottom is a dirt pile just upLake from the dock itself IN the lake…

Oh- dirt road on a scale of 1-10...is a 4. Washboards and big bumps right now. Talk to the Old Man when he is out there if you would, he enjoys it.

Hutch

PostPosted: October 1st, 2018, 2:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

We've been passing each other on the highway it seems.

I closed out the regular season fishing with a relative on a remote pond closer to Quebec than I usually venture. Pretty steady action for small, but colorful fish. Plenty of fight out of them too, in 57 degree water.

Lots of birds around this fall. Looking forward to getting the dog on a couple soon.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2018, 8:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hutch......

What hatches was Greg Fishing? Bwo’s?

I go when I do because I know that we’ll be fishing Caddis on the MO, and Black Caddis and Trikes on the Horn, and PMD’s Sulphur and tiny Sulphur Spinners on the Creeks. We know what we’re doing at the time we go.

Of course, after you retire I could possibly be convinced to go out there with you in September. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 2:05 pm 
FFIMer

You will have to fill out the proper paperwork and go in front of the "Selection Committee" before that can happen.
We suggest you drink only bottled water in the meantime.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 3:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

tailingloop wrote:
You will have to fill out the proper paperwork and go in front of the "Selection Committee" before that can happen.
We suggest you drink only bottled water in the meantime.

Jesus, Tom......Iremember that day very well.......especially a certain room filled with porcelain. I have *never* used a filtered water bottle since that day, and never will. A Buddy that fishes with me, and will be on the trip north in a couple of weeks uses one extensively, and I cringe and Blanche every time he does. Worshiping that porcelain god wasn’t much fun. Hope all is well......

Dave M

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 8:40 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Dave M wrote:
Hutch......

What hatches was Greg Fishing? Bwo’s?

I go when I do because I know that we’ll be fishing Caddis on the MO, and Black Caddis and Trikes on the Horn, and PMD’s Sulphur and tiny Sulphur Spinners on the Creeks. We know what we’re doing at the time we go.

Of course, after you retire I could possibly be convinced to go out there with you in September. ;-)

Dave M

I wouldn't go - the fishing isn't all THAT good in September.... :shock:

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 7:09 am 
FFIM Addict

He did well on the last day because the weather was cloudy and wet- small flies on top-- Scotties Midges...It will be 3 years before I can go at this time of year- but we can plan it then!

Hutch

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 9:48 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch wrote:
He did well on the last day because the weather was cloudy and wet- small flies on top-- Scotties Midges...It will be 3 years before I can go at this time of year- but we can plan it then!

Hutch

He did well because he could catch trout in a mud puddle! Needless to say - we had a great week of fish and adventure. 3 years goes by awful fast :mrgreen: