FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 20th, 2018, 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tying areas
PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:36 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

I belong to a couple of different tying groups on FB. No big deal.....right? I’m absolutely amazed at 5heir tying benches/Stations. They’re almost always perfectly clean, neat, and tidy in the pictures they post.

I go down to my tying area and it’s messy as all get-out. I have my hook hotel pretty well organized, my flash carousel is too, and my dubbing boxes, all five of them, are fairly neat. However, there’s capes from tying Bass Bugs, z-Lon from Emergers, foam not yet put away from tying Chubby Chernobles, UV lights, etc,etc,etc,

I just,apparently, am not as neat as a lot of other tyers, I guess. I know I should put everything back into storage as I go from one pattern, or style, to another.......but I just don’t. (Shrugging shoulders here).

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Tying areas
PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:49 am 
FFIM Addict

Dave
Don’t fret the small things. You tie great flies and aren’t afraid to share and donate. You’re anal enough as is so just be yourself.

Ron

Besides they probably tidied up for the picture anyway. Probably hasn’t showered in a month.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 9:12 am 
FFIMer

Dave I start putting stuff away when I can't find something because its already out in a pile of stuff I used and moved on from! Hope to see you at a few tying events this winter.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 9:29 am 
FFIM-aholic

Don’t believe all you see on FB. “Or Insta-face, or whatever...”
Stephen Colbert once said...I don’t like going on FB, it makes me so depressed. Everyone ‘s lives are so perfect.
As for my tying area, if the fishing is good, or I’m preparing for a trip, it looks like a bomb went off.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:33 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I generally keep my materials pretty squared away, I have a fear of bugs and moths... and those featherwing capes, and LARGE comparadun deer patches, don’t come as easy as they used to. However, I usually have scrap blowing around like tumble week. I have tried to keep it tidied though... 3 mins at the end of every session goes a long way.

Truth be told, I have enough flies tied for the next 5 seasons... and could probably say the same for the rivers overseas as well... it’s just easier than finding the time to get out these days....

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau