FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 20th, 2018, 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird fly names.......
PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 1:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

I know it must be difficult to come up with nomenclature for flies that make sense, are descriptive, and easy to remember........but lately Fly names seem to be off the wall.

On the Bighorn one of our go to patterns for the Pupa of the Black Caddis is called a “Poodle Sniffer”. I was down in the tying room this morning tying up a dozen for next years trip. Now, I’m not entirely certain what part of the Poodle the namer of this fly was sniffing, but it just seems bizarre to name a fly that ( a really great fly, fwiw).

A couple of months ago I was on my annual streamer tying kick, and when my wife asked me what fly I was tying she was taken aback when I told her “Sex Dungeons”. She looked at me and said “You know, you fly tyers are a weird bunch”.

Another strangely named fly is one that is very popular in Maine in the fall.......a Montreal #####........called a Montreal Courtesan in some fly shops.

Gierach ties up a fly that’s called a “Upside Down Weedless Turd Knocker”........or something ridiculous like that. Almost makes a Wooly Bugger (aka Wooly Booger” seem quaint.
I guess if you’re trying (somewhat desperately) to get your new pattern noticed amongst the thousands already out there giving it a very strange.......or suggestive......name might get it noticed.

Luckily I don’t invent new patterns, so I don’t have to worry about it. I can almost guarantee, though, that if your wife askes what you’re tying........and you reply “Poodle Sniffer” you’re going to get a strange look.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 2:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

As a classic streamer enthusiast, who's kids also enjoy sitting on my lap tying those colorful gems... I see a fair number of :roll: from my wife.

Starting of course with the all important eye material... jungle cock.... which she loves to make fun of me for. She thought i had a thing for italian women after talking about how I loved "guinea hen shoulders".

She's only slightly less bewildered that my 6 year old can tell the difference between badger and lace hackle, and has a slightly scarey look in his eye when we cruise the poultry barn at Deerfield fair.

it is a sickness, and i'm okay with that.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 3:14 pm 
FFIMer

I remember when the Chernobyl ant first became popular. A local outdoors writer commented that the name is in bad taste. The Montreal whore not withstanding, perhaps it started there?

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 6:20 pm 

As a kid, the Montreal Whore could not be named when my sister, mother, or grandmother were in ear shot. We called it the Lewiston Lady, and I still do.

As modern odd names go, Sex Dungeon may be the worst offender.

Make mine a Usual, with sides of Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear and Partridge and Orange.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 12:11 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Closely related to the wacky names of beer and cannabis.
Likely the same cast of characters :lol:

PostPosted: September 28th, 2018, 1:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
As a kid, the Montreal Whore could not be named when my sister, mother, or grandmother were in ear shot. We called it the Lewiston Lady, and I still do.

As modern odd names go, Sex Dungeon may be the worst offender.

Make mine a Usual, with sides of Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear and Partridge and Orange.

Jeff.......

Funny that you mention the Partridge & Orange. I just finished tying up a dozen for a week long trip I’m going on in mid October. Some regular ones; some with a very small silver wire rib; some with a Solarz UV coating on the body; some with a wood duck flank tail, some without. A great fall pattern for Brookies and Landlocks. Some with gold beads at the head, some with beads as the thorax, some with Orange UV Ice Dub for the thorax.

I was tying up a few Soft Hackles a few months ago for our annual western trip and when I showed them to a new guy going on 5he trip he called them “elegant”. Now I have no idea if mine are really elegant or not........I just care that they work;they stay together for more than a few Landlocks, and that they’re well tied. No one had ever called my Flies “elegant” before. I’ll take the compliment, but I’m much more concerned that they catch trout/Landlocks.

Some tiers are artists.......I’m most assuredly not.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 11:43 am 
FFIMer

An amusingly named fly that I found in my search for a fly that would allow me to "walk the dog" is the Pole Dancer. I haven't fished it much but want to take a Speck and a Red on it. I have the action down, just need a fish or three to cooperate. This winter I plan to get it done in FLA.

https://youtu.be/xJT5ei8WEvQ

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 3:02 pm 
FFIMer

I noticed a funny salmon fly pattern name at Galloup's shop a few years back:

Things from Uranus