FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2018, 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rain
PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 11:29 am 
FFIM Addict

It's looking like we'll be seeing some rain over the next couple of days. This should get the fish moving- especially if the temperature moderates to seasonal temperatures soon. Enjoy the remainder of the regular season wherever you can, and please- don't all go to the named spots. There are plenty of awesome adventures around the state that do not involve paths worn to the good fishing spots. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Rain
PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 11:43 am 
FFIMer

And please be responsible with the lesser known spots.
I fish a location that traditionally saw very few if any other anglers for years until last year. Social media posts can do a lot of damage literally overnight. If you find something, keep it to yourself or a few trusted friends who won't announce it to the world.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 12:16 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Wish it were true...but latest forecasts show the bulk of the rain staying south. York County may do well but it looks like a sharp cutoff. Estimates for my area in northern Cumberland cty are less than .25”. Hopefully the system has other plans.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 12:32 pm 
FFIMer

Quote:
Wish it were true...but latest forecasts show the bulk of the rain staying south

Yep..
Just caught the noon news, we may get some showers around here but not going amount to much.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 2:48 pm 
FFIMer

WE NEED RAIN!!!!!! i cant believe the trickles of water flowing over the stream beds here in central Maine. its danger low and quite warm. There are juvenile Alewives waiting to migrate back to the sea and there is no water. Trout and Salmon waiting to spawn with nowhere to go!!! 2000 CFS Bingham. way too low! I guess some form of sacrifice to the rain Gods is in order.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 3:47 pm 
FFIMer

I think mother nature has a way of taking care of here "younges" I remember last year right about this time of September ..we were all hemming and hawing about the lack of rain ..and sure enough somewhere in that 1st or 2nd week of October we got a couple or 3 good soakers and presto good or at least better flows for the fish ! ..not so much for the fisherman it was too late :wink: :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 8:32 am 
FFIMer

we may have just gotten our wish ..close to 3/4" rain last night and another good soaking possible tonight.. I wouldn't want to be within a 100 miles of a particular " western Maine " region this weekend :wink:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 8:43 am 
FFIMer

actually NOAA reports 1.65 " of rain fell yesterday and another .5-1.0 expected between today and tonight so enjoy

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 11:15 am 
FFIM-aholic

rained like a mofo in Portland last night. No stripers were harmed.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 11:22 am 
FFIM Addict

I had to wait for weather to blow by the O'Hare Airport yesterday and then flew back to Portland through three different weather fronts. Bumpy would be an understatement. I'm pretty sure the tail end of the aircraft was 40 degrees off the flight path at one point when we were descending to land. Sitting in the tail of the aircraft- I had a good view of everyone in front of me on the plane bouncing from side to side. And the radar showed strong circulation just north of Chicago- with possible tornado touchdown(s) reported on the news this AM.

In the words of Jimmy Buffett: "The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful." I'm guessing he wasn't singing about brook trout, though.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 1:27 pm 
FFIM-aholic

tick tock tick tock... I predict a tremendous soaking next Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 3:12 pm 
FFIMer

:wink: :wink:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 5:44 pm 

Hunter wrote:
I had to wait for weather to blow by the O'Hare Airport yesterday and then flew back to Portland through three different weather fronts. Bumpy would be an understatement. I'm pretty sure the tail end of the aircraft was 40 degrees off the flight path at one point when we were descending to land. Sitting in the tail of the aircraft- I had a good view of everyone in front of me on the plane bouncing from side to side. And the radar showed strong circulation just north of Chicago- with possible tornado touchdown(s) reported on the news this AM.

In the words of Jimmy Buffett: "The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful." I'm guessing he wasn't singing about brook trout, though.

Were you on the same flight with us? American out of Chicago scheduled around 6 pm, actually left around 8, got into Portland in the pouring rain about midnight?

Wild flight. Watched lightning out the window almost all the way. Plane was almost empty because so many connecting flights did not make it into OHare.

Still waiting for the two bags I checked, plus the two carry ons they made us "gate check" in Bozeman because that flight was so full.

Going to be very interesting if I have to try to describe the contents of my fly tying bag to estimate replacement costs. :wink:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 7:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

"Going to be very interesting if I have to try to describe the contents of my fly tying bag to estimate replacement costs. :wink:"

1 Chartreuse mop, thread and a box of hooks

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 26th, 2018, 9:23 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Hunter wrote:

Were you on the same flight with us? American out of Chicago scheduled around 6 pm, actually left around 8, got into Portland in the pouring rain about midnight?

Wild flight. Watched lightning out the window almost all the way. Plane was almost empty because so many connecting flights did not make it into OHare.

Still waiting for the two bags I checked, plus the two carry ons they made us "gate check" in Bozeman because that flight was so full.

Going to be very interesting if I have to try to describe the contents of my fly tying bag to estimate replacement costs. :wink:

Same deal, but I was a 6:05 PM United flight that left around 9:30 PM and got in around 11 PM. We left out of terminal B.