FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water temps
PostPosted: September 8th, 2018, 8:03 am 
FFIMer

Short article on Scotland river water temps. TGIF and others who’ve fished in EU, I’m curious if this is a topic of conversation locally over there?

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-45354167

Post subject: Re: Water temps
PostPosted: September 9th, 2018, 8:46 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Its really interesting, and clearly not something that they have had to contend with much, especially in Northern Europe due to the weather.

I have to say, despite the fact that I was able to cover a lot of ground, unfortunately, my lack of language skills in all those places, prevented me from really digging into their overall river management strategies. But there are a few things I can say that may add a little color.

1. In almost every place I fished, the expectation was that we would be fishing dry flies, with the exception of Czech Rep in late October, and Eastern France. However, even those cases, while nymphing it was like fishing dries, because it was all visual, and active. I say this, because the trend there is to fish to active fish, in the top of the water column. When fish weren't active there, they didn't dredge down to them (I did, but I was the "dumb american"), they just didn't catch anything and said the fishing wasn't good, and they would fish again when things improved, likely driven by temps or conditions being more favorable.

2. This has been a different year in the UK than anyone I know can remember for generations... it has been hot and dry, two tings that aren't often said about the UK even in August. While the river temps are likely suffering, I don't think this is the new norm. They were struck with forest fires that hadn't been seen in generations. Of course this could be the start of a trend, but until proven, i think this year is definatley a fluke. The entries in that log are likely totally unique in that it is such a storied river, with a full time manager... that definately isn't the norm.

3. They are piscavores over there, and lots of fish are taken for the table. Any C&R tendencies I saw, were largely western driven by people who were looped into the "global fishing scene" mostly through the internet and film trends we've seen. However, there is a HEAVY population that would assume once hooked, whatever was on the end of the line was going to be dinner. So, river temps weren't published, discussed in forums, measured regularly, etc... from what I experienced.

So, while it feels like every square inch of moving water is governed in Europe, I don't feel like it is at all managed as it is here. However, I think their proclivity to rely on active fish to target, versus going down to them, or at them, differentiates the pressure put on fish, during the few summer doldrums that I saw. So, skulking fish were a lot safer there than here, and warm water would logically just get colder once the summer wore on... bugs would hatch, fish would eat, and they would go back to fishing.

I know all that sounds really anecdotal, but its the best i can do to put my finger on how it may differ.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau