FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR E.O.
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 3:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

T.R. at the E.O. on September 2nd

It has been a few weeks since we got back from Montana, and I have not fished even once...so, off to the E.O. at 3:45 am.

The deer/moose interface was in play as I saw a nice deer on the way (lots of small fish and maybe a few big ones)...no moose... but then again, it was dark most of the way.

I was not the first person on the water, in fact I could see 4 cars at the parking lots, and expected the prime spots were filled, but water was very low so there were lots of places to get my feet wet.

Long story short...well, not really -more of a short story told shortly….I started with 2 soft hackles fished wet. Then a caddis got caught between my lense and my eye- in terms of CLUES, this is a workable hint for people such as me. ( and I DID get a very close look at it.)

I matched the eye licker with a #22 loopwing- and had a hoot of a time on the small salmon. Most miss when they rise, but a few got hooked. Later, a legit 14 inch brook trout took it, and I expected it to be big fish of the day...it wasn’t.

There are some NICE salmon in the E.O. right now- I mean fall run nice. I ended on one and have actual human witnesses. Released and I was done by 9:15 am. Water and air was getting warm and time to go.

Points here...I remembered that someone on here said that fall flies are smaller than spring flies- and I agree. I did not get a rise on any fly larger than #18. I did see and watch some good nymphing going on, and a drift boat that must have been rock resistant (or the owner was awesome on the sticks)..

So, it looks to me like the summer break is over with, and we are looking at a great next few months. I would mention that reports from GLS are BAD- with Dad saying the construction is making the river at GLS brown and muddy...plus it is very warm.

Go get ‘em.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: TR E.O.
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 4:14 pm 
FFIMer

What would you estimate the water temp to have been if I may ask?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 6:30 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for the report Hutch. I thought the fishing would be a little behind with all this heat.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 6:32 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for the report Hutch. I thought the fishing would be a little behind with all this heat. If you see a blue chevy pickup up there stop by for a cold one.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 8:46 am 
FFIM-aholic

I suspect the relatively wet August will help the fall run, even more than the temp drops.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 11:55 am 
FFIM Addict

I expect the water was very warm- I don't have a temp reading, but the temps are why I ended at around 9am. Also, another report at GLS-and the water is clear as they have stopped construction for the 3 day weekend. Bass are the willing takers. I see that next weekend's forcast has temps in the high 60s as a prediction---which will be good.

Hutch