FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 28th, 2018, 12:02 pm 
FFIMer

I am going to be spending some time at a northern Maine river soon that I have observed sporadic white mayfly hatches on that bring up nice salmon. I usually think of this fly as a spring or summer fly and but I see them at this place well into September sometimes. They are usually around a size 12/14 and have been tough for me to match as I have not been able to capture one in the right stage to look at closely. I have had limited success with a "comparadun" style fly but not much else. I am thinking of doing some in the "Klinkhammer" style, I have not dabbled much in this type of fly when it comes to tying, does anyone have a favorite that works well for them?

PostPosted: August 28th, 2018, 12:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

If it’s the hatch I’m thinking of (sporadic, but brings fish to the surface near/after dark), I have had good luck on hare’s ear nymphs tailed off a dry. The fish seem to key on the silhouette more than anything in my experience. But the fish are larger size, and don’t not have a problem eating the fly.

Best,
Hunter

PostPosted: August 28th, 2018, 1:20 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have had great success with a generic emerger.... Mustad sells some light wire curved caddis hooks which are like a Klink hook by not as long. I add a tail (no not), biot body in the appropriate color, a dubbed thorax a few shades darker than the body (or full blown contrast) and then a CDC wing.

The wing is either formed down, if i am thinking caddis, or higher if i am thinking of mayflies. I have started spinning cdc for the wing with the Petijean method, which makes it easier to resemble a mayfly profile if their wings are up. They work great, which is the blessing and curse of CDC... they catch tons of fish... but they are one or two fish flies until they dry out.... yes, i've tried all the stuff :)

If these are the white flies I have seen, their body is slightly mottled in brown, which i can add with a tan sharpie.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 9:34 am 
FFIM Addict

Most of my emergers, unless I'm copying a specific pattern are a generic style pattern. A curved shank nymph/scud hook or the same in a lighter wire emerger hook (2487/2488TMC). Reading I did this AM if this is a Ephron leuken fly hints towards an attached shuck of zelon, then a white or cream biot body. Maybe a thorax of very light hairs mask (winter phase of a snowshoe would be ideal. (I think a bit darker on the thorax) With either a snowshoe hare rabbit foot post and white hackle parachute or to be simpler just a clump of snowshoe foot hair for a wing. Treat the wing so it hangs in the film.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 11:12 am 
FFIM-aholic

White comparadun and klink have always been my go-to for the white fly ( Ephron leukon- Hunter, I had to....). Good old white wullf never fails either.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 12:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Phillips Usual......size 14.

Imitates both the Emerger and the Dun.......two for one, if you will. I call it the “Mike Holt fly”. He didn’t invent it, but he sure popularized it here in Maine when he and Linda ran FFO.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 2:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Well, Dave, I was going to post the Usual as a fly to use but thought - Na, people must be tired of me pushing the Usual as a go to fly. Thanks for stepping in :D

My second choice is the White Wulff John mentioned. Especially is the White Wulff is tied with Silver Badger so you get the black thorax effect. Both flies do a great job during the White Fly hatch.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2018, 4:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

I was tying usuals with different colored threads and/or dyed hares foot for different bugs just a while ago. I really like the effect of hares feet. Wow 2 posts from Mike in a week. Great to hear from you Mike. I miss your blogs/videos.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 30th, 2018, 7:19 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hey Ron, I have to admit there are drawbacks to spending the summers "upta" camp "off the grid."

We like it but admittedly when having to deal with weak signals and generators to do much of anything online - online just sort of fades away. That and not having a dedicated work area when we return home made making videos and blogging a chore. Nice of you to say they are missed.

Linda and I are in the process of moving into a new house and I have a room now just for tying and videos. If I can get it set up I'll start posting more. Right now moving in is the top priority and quite a process.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 9:31 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for the tips. I picked up some feet and tied up some usuals in a bunch of sizes. Despite fishing the kenny in it's day and frequenting Mike's shop I never picked up on this fly. I was a young pup then tho and didn't do much tying. I am headed up to the woods in one week, hopefully things cool down a little before then.