FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 14th, 2018, 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 8:24 am 
FFIMer

I am with you on the Folstaff Terry, cannot stand having a staff or anything around my feet when not in use. Its not so bad fishing dries on a upstream wade. but any other time its in the way. And having a staff that springs to life when needed has saved my butt a few times.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2018, 11:54 pm 

Do not--I repeat, do not--buy the crappy-but-expensive shock corded pole I bought when I could not get a Simms on short notice because they were back ordered.

It's a lousy staff with all the problems I remember from cheaper folding/shock corded staffs, except all of them are worse. It does not go together well, it comes apart when the tip is pressed between rocks, into sand, into loose gravel, into mud, or even onto the top of a slightly rotten log. When this happens, you WILL lose your balance, and, in anger, yank the god-damned thing. At that point the stuck tip will come free, and, propelled by the bungee, rocket straight towards your nose.

I repeat--LOUDLY--do not pay $72.90 for this piece of **** like I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Springbrook-Folding-Aluminum-Fishing-Walking/dp/B00JJ6NSN2/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1537501674&sr=1-12&keywords=wading+staff

TFO has a good reputation for making quality fly rods at an affordable price. That reputation is in serious jeopardy if many of these damned things get sold.

Temple Fork Outfitters, I hope you see this post. You will be hearing from me about the piece of **** staff you sold me. End your relationship with whoever makes the SpringBrook WSA wading staff ASAP.

PS I should know this, but DO NOT trust customer reviews on Amazon. How 89% of the 18 people who reviewed this sorry excuse for a wading staff gave it 4 or 5 stars is beyond me.

Perhaps they are using it as a multi-piece set of nun-chuks, because that's all the ****ing thing is good for.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2018, 10:03 am 
FFIMer

Jeff,
That is probably the best review I've ever read :lol:

And Terry, I have fished with you on a few occasions and believe you have lost more gear on the the river in those few days then most people do in an entire fishing career!

Peter

PostPosted: September 21st, 2018, 10:30 am 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:

PS I should know this, but DO NOT trust customer reviews on Amazon. How 89% of the 18 people who reviewed this sorry excuse for a wading staff gave it 4 or 5 stars is beyond me.

Jeff. you are right to be leery about Amazon (and other) reviews. One guy took the issue so seriously that
he developed a algorithm to analyze all Amazon reviews. Link to the tool is pasted below. I ran the tool on the wading staff in question and it actually passed muster, meaning it failed to show any blatant suspicious input. Check it out for all your Amazon purchases.

https://reviewmeta.com/