FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crooked River Weir
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 12:27 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Angler survey is a very interesting topic. I’ll join on a lake troll once or twice a year, but the vast majority of my Sebago fish angling takes place at the locks or in the river. Been rough since 2013...but that’s almost entirely due to low water.
I won’t fish much if conditions are bad.
Among those years and prior, in good times, I never keep a log other than through photos and a text stream in a very tight loop 8)
But a little streamside kiosk with survey cards would no doubt provide great info. Were it able to exist without getting destroyed by vandals....

Post subject: Re: Crooked River Weir
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 1:28 pm 

Formerly Larvae wrote:
Will be interesting to see the results from the new project and I will be following closely. Would be nice to stop the salmon stocking altogether if the reasoning was it was only continuing for stocking in other places.

As for the togue, and the regulations, I hope there will be some definitive results that support the salmon. I have zero background in biology and know nothing on the science behind what is occurring out there which is a big point, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

I can’t even estimate the hours I spend out there and have over the last 10-12 years fishing and listening to anglers, but the last couple years the amount of tiny togue has exploded. Like 8-12 inches. They are everywhere and the bigger fish are void. Hope creal surveys show this.

It’s sad when a 4 pounder wins a 2 day togue tournament.....

Jeff R. - I thought I read that the big togue numbers increased as the depth did. Less fish, but bigger. Small togue throughout as they are more resilient to warmer temps. Maybe I’m wrong.

Salmon fishing as steady declined on my boat over the years. Togue numbers are up.

Couple of things.

(1) I agree with you about Sebago stocking. The problem is that the current hatchery supply for most of southern Maine depends on collecting fish at Panther Run. No more stocking--no more fish coming from Panther. They COULD be collected at the weir, but I don't like that idea much, at least in numbers.
(2) Togue--as I remember Jim's presentation, which was based on multiple gill net sets, many in very deep water . . . (1) Small togue numbers are higher than originally thought. (2) They are actually most abundant in very deep water, with larger togue at shallower depths (but still below the thermocline). Jim's assessment is that the large togue occupy the better habitat forcing the smaller togue to places that are more marginal. It was pretty interesting stuff, if not terribly encouraging about the likelihood of any togue management strategy being effective without a lot more effort directed at togue in waters that are hard to fish. Please find the people wanting to troll at 90 feet for 16" togue . . . . . . .and buy each of them a really nice smoker. :wink: Also, hope for cold winters, because apparently when ice is available, ice anglers do effectively target the small togue at depth.