FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South Fork, CO
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 2:36 pm 
FFIMer

So I am heading to South Fork, CO in 2 weeks and staying on the Rio Grande and I can't wait! The place I am staying has 2 fishing leases on their property but gets very little wading traffic. I'm going to have one suitcase with nothing but fishing gear! Does anyone know what I should be bringing for flies or should I just wait until I get there and go to a fly shop? Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: South Fork, CO
PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 4:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've never fished thereabouts in August, but it has been awfully dry this year, so I'd go prepared to spend more time fishing smaller water higher up, and focus on early in the day if you want to hit the other stuff. For the higher stuff, it should be prime attractor dry time -- think PMX, para adams, stimmie, ant/beetle/hopper. You should have fun. For nymphs, I'd be sure to bring stoneflies in all sizes from 6 to 16. The Rio Grande Valley up above Creede is just gorgeous and it has been good to me, fishing-wise earlier in the year. Creede has a good fly shop. I haven't been in the ones in South Fork.

I really don't have much idea about the actual hatches down there this time of year. For me, August in Colorado is attractor dry season and I pay very little attention to what's hatching. Except maybe keep an eye out for tricos on the bigger river. I don't know if the Rio has a trico hatch, but I've run into trico hatches that people don't talk about on a number of rivers in Colorado and seen a trico be just the ticket.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 9:53 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I spent (not enough) time on the Rio in later June in ‘16 and ‘17. Stayed in Creede and loved it. Beautiful area. Can’t help you on South Fork, Never made it down to the Gold Medal stretch between there and Del Norte, but didn’t need to. There was plenty of great fishing in the public areas north of Creede up to Rio Grande Reservoir. That was late runoff and the river was swollen and tough to wade...a real battle, but salmonflies and Caddis were heavy and fish were aggressive. Flows receded daily while I was there and I discovered hints of some nice pocket water which I’m sure is important feature in this year of extreme drought.
I’ve followed news of this season’s drought out there, though, and it seems maybe the only drainage worse off than the Rio is the Animas/San Juan area. To add insult to injury to that area, a bad fire in Durango in June was followed by a flash flood which carried burn debris and ash into the Animas and caused a significant fish kill.
You can google Colorado drought and see the map to gauge how dry it is.
Around Creede on the Rio, big 20-incher stones and pat’s rubber legs were great nymphs for me , lots of fish took big stimulators #4-#8 and #14-#16 EHCs. But so much of that is just the time of year.
Browns seemed to dominate but the bows were generally bigger.
We explored a bunch of backcountry there...great hikes and gnarly mountain roads and lots of small mtn creeks, lakes and reservoirs that I didn’t fish.
Good fly shops (2) in Creede. One’s obvious, the sister of the south fork shop, and the other part of a sporting goods store.
Good luck!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 4:23 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
I spent (not enough) time on the Rio in later June in ‘16 and ‘17. Stayed in Creede and loved it. Beautiful area. Can’t help you on South Fork, Never made it down to the Gold Medal

South Fork, CO is not the same as THE South Fork. ;)