FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T/R
PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 3:52 pm 
FFIMer

Went to Ireland for a family reunion. My grandfather got run out of Ireland for poaching salmon from the Blackwater river, to feed his family. I asked on an Ireland fishing site on facebook for a guide recommendation and told the guide I wanted to poach a salmon. The guide a lady named Glenda, very well known in the salmon fishing crowd, said she couldn't take part in poaching but would do her best to make it happen. She has a 2 mile beat that she rents for the season. She would supply the equipment.
I've never used a spey rod before, but it wasn't bad. The waders were rubber and it was a rather warm day for Ireland, really makes you appreciate gortex. We started fishing at around 9am and never had a hit. We did see fish rising above and below us. Around 4:00 I told her I didn't think it was going to happen and between the rubber boots and the heat (also the family reunion the night before had taken its toll great whiskey and beer) I was beat up. Well right in the middle of the Blackwater river she starts yelling at me to keep casting and get that salmon for my grandfather. I've never been yelled at by a guide so I kept casting. Time went on and I said again that I would have to get back to my family group soon. She said 3 more casts and we'll call it quits and I agreed. So I cast 3 more times and go to reel up, she looks at me and said you had better take one more cast for your grandfather. I didn't dare to say no so I made one more cast and don't you know it salmon on. I couldn't believe what was happening, like a movie. She put that net under that salmon and I couldn't help but think that my grandfather had just tested me to see if I was really a Mahoney. The guide myself and the salmon embraced in the middle of the river and a tear was shed. I never keep fish but I did take that one back and my family group all had a piece of salmon. The day was complete and I'm sure my grandfather suffered way more getting chased out of Ireland by the Lords who ran the river and the boat trip over here had to be terriable compared to my day. But my mission was complete. Although paying that fee to fish that river killed me.

Post subject: Re: T/R
PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Very cool story, congrats! And kudos to the guide for keeping the heat on you.

Where in Ireland were you? How bad was the rod fee?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 9:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

One of the best I’ve read here. Congrats. She had to know you were covering that fish and that it was only a matter of time.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 5:26 am 
FFIMer

Where in Ireland were you? How bad was the rod fee?[/quote

I was fishing the Blackwater river near Fermoy and the fees were
20 Euro for a one day licsence
80 Euro for the beat permit, which I guess somehow goes back to the English lords that control the rivers that hold salmon. This is the one that sucks!!!
Although we did pass a spot by the road where a few guys were casting and the guide said there was no fee there.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

From my European experience, €100 for a day on private water is totally reasonable. Especially for a salmon river that actually has fish in it. Guide fees and gear included in that? Or no?

People pay 5x that much across the Irish Sea.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 7:12 pm 
FFIMer

The 100 euro didn't include the guide.
The guide was 300 for the day and that included gear, a ride from hotel and lunch. Not a bad deal. The guide has a 2 mile stretch of water and I had no one else in the part of the river we were on.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 8:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

I know that the “pay to play” rubs people the wrong way, I get it, but it also keeps acceses maintainted, thistles and nettles mowed, and places advertised in areas where we’ll never spent enough time to find.

The kicker about Europe, especially Western Europe, is that every square inch of it is trodden, farmed, cut down, re grown, fought over, won and lost, 10 times over. It is just different... if you want wild and open to the public, they will take you to Hyde Park.

All that said.... in my view, you got a $1,000,000 story for a mere €400... plus a dinner :wink:

Thanks for sharing it with us!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 10:34 am 
FFIMer

I don't mine paying. The part that gets me is the English still control the salmon rivers in Ireland as I understand it. They still rule the rivers as they did when my grandfather had to leave the country for poaching.

Believe me that day was worth every penny.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 7:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

Love it.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 9:15 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Really? The English still retain rights to the salmon? That is fascinating. Or do you think it just happens to be that stretch of river is owned by an Englishman?

I don’t recall if that was the case when I fished in Galway, but in hindsight, I am not sure I ever received the license that was “included” in the fee that I paid to fish with Noel.

Sounds like we’re on the same page about the value of that experience. Pretty story book if you ask me...

I recently read an article about ones inability to buy happiness via buying more things, but that one would buy happiness and enrichment by investing in experiences. I think I subscribe to that.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 6:38 am 
FFIMer

TGIF
According to what I was told in the past the English control all salmon rivers. Nobody seems to want to talk about it.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 9:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

You learn something new every day... thanks for the info.

The queen also owns all the swans. I would trade salmon for swans 100 times out of 100.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm 
FFIM-aholic

well that's one cool story, from a Lynch to a Mahoney. I've got a reputation for the words ONE MORE CAST a lot of fish are caught on that one, I used to say that one fish may just pay for the gas, way to hang in there Mahoney

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 3:56 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Your words painted a beautiful picture - thank you!!!!

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

Don’s words?
What a water color painted in the rain?
Ron

Sir John Buchan