FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2018, 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 3:23 pm 
FFIMer

My son and have a chance to go to NY the last weekend in September for "Early Run" Steelheads and I was wondering if anyone has had the experience?
I've fished for Steelheads many years ago and the river was as good as the weather was the 5 previous days, 2 clear and 3 muddied with rain. I'm sure that hasn't changed.
Just wondering fly selections, lines, and any other local knowledge.
No information will be refused, except from Dave M.
Thanks in advance.
Loop(formerly Gussa)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 3:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ha ha Gussa. Never fished New York, have no desire to get involved with that zoo. Enjoy yourself

Dave M

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 7:00 pm 
FFIMer

Like size 28 trico, I knew I would get a take.......

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 7:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

From what I have seen...........perfect name. Bring a box when you shop-- better bring 2.

hutch

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 7:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

tailingloop wrote:
I've fished for Steelheads many years ago...
Thanks in advance.
Loop(formerly Gussa)

Is that where your floral hat tradition stems from? This explains much in life.

Hope all is well.
- Hunter

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 11:33 am 
FFIMer

Steelhead fishing the Erie tribs in September into October is pretty iffy. Typically the water flows are low and the only Steelhead will be the Jacks, the small fish. The fishery is very water dependent and does not usually kick in until November. It can be feast or famine making it difficult to plan a trip ahead of time unless you book for December or later. Heavy rain brings flood conditions and turbidity. Ideally you get a tropical storm with heavy rain about 4 days before your trip to bring fish in from Lake Erie and you fish dropping and clearing flows. Some absolutely beautiful water in dramatic settings. When conditions are right the Catt cannot be beat. We fish on the Seneca Indian Reservation, only need their license, or the South Branch to get away from other anglers. We make an annual trip in mid-November to western NY and refuse to fish the Salmon River and will only fish the western Ontario tribs if the Erie tribs are unfishable. The Erie tribs give the opportunity to get away from the combat fishing. The Erie Steelhead are usually smaller than the Ontario fish, typically in the 3-6 lb range. We have hooked some larger fish, but believe me a fresh 6 lb Chromer is impressive. If you have flexibility I recommend targeting November- early December and waiting for the right weather and stream flows. Best lodging options are in Fredonia/Dunkirk. Current info on western NY can be found contacting the NY DEC Fishery Biologist Mike Todd fwfish9@dec.ny.gov . Lots of options with Chautauqua, Canadaway, Clear and Eighteen Mile Creeks. Info on the fishery http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/60290.html .

Attachments:
Cattaraugus Steelhead Buck_01.JPG
Cattaraugus Steelhead Buck_01.JPG [ 59.36 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 8:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

No matter what the fishing be sure and try some of the local cuisine. Preferably bar food if you happen to ever stop in such a place. Beef on Weck plus wings were developed in the area. Also if you get close to the lake smoked whitefish was always a staple. The Bills are playing away that weekend so that isn't an option.

Ron

Sir John Buchan